Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Finished for Friday: Revisiting Anne Shirley



On a whim this week, I read Anne of Green Gables on my Kindle.

I realized that the last time that I read this book, I was probably about Anne's age - 12. I might have laughed at all the right parts and enjoyed her eccentricities. I certainly remember some of the episodes. But this week as I read it, I saw the story from the perspective of a parent, and the story was sweet and touching and new.  Here is Anne at the tender age of fifteen:
And when I put on longer skirts I shall feel that I have to live up to them and be very dignified.  It wont even do to believe in fairies then, I'm afraid; so I'm going to believe in them with all my whole heart this summer.
Ah, that tipping point between belief and growing up!  It's a little heartbreaking to watch as they become aware of it.

Anne's wise adoptive mother Marilla echos the sentiments of every mother;
I just couldn't help thinking of the little girl you used to be, Anne.  And I was wishing you could have stayed a little girl, even with all your queer ways.  You've grown up now and you're going away; and you look so tall and stylish and so-so-different altogether in that dress -- as if you didn't belong in Avonlea at all -- and I just got lonesome thinking it all over.
To which Anne, wiser than her years, replies;
I'm not a bit changed -- not really.  I'm only just pruned down and branched out.  The real ME -- back here -- is just the same.  It won't make a bit of difference where I go or how much I change outwardly; at heart I shall always be your little Anne, who will love you and Matthew and dear Green Gables more and better every day of her life.
*sniff*  Hand me a tissue!

Have you ever gone back to re-read a favorite book from childhood?  Sometimes a sweet simple story really hits the spot.

What have you been up to this week?  Link up and let us see.  Thanks for joining in and have a great weekend!


4 comments:

  1. I adore Anne...it has been awhile since I've reread Anne or watched the show (my husband banned us from it when my girls started acting too much like Anne ;=) ) But there are so many lovely little moments in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember reading it as a child but I had heard of it and finally read it and some of the sequels a few years ago. My favorite bit is when she wants a dress with mutton chop sleeves: I liked it so much I bought and made a doll pattern because of the dress' mutton chop sleeves! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love Anne Shirley... one of my favorite college papers was a little 3 page one for children's lit that was a compare/contrast of Anne Shirley and Meg from Little Women. (Like them too, obviously!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished reading the Anne series on my Nook - I had to grab a hanky more than once!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! If you would prefer to email me, my email link is in my sidebar. Because of the high volume of spam, I have had to block anonymous comments.