Thursday, January 22, 2009

Finished for Friday - Basket

Lit and Laundry


I'm cheating this week because my "finish" is only the single block of a quilt. I'm trying to master the technique of needle-turn applique and I'm certainly struggling with it. Let's not look too closely at this ok? The whole time I was making it I kept reminding myself "this is supposed to be relaxing" as I unclenched my jaw from my furious concentration. I can see why people like this technique, but I can also see that I'm going to need a lot of practice to get good at it.

Did you finish a craft/project/book/cup of coffee this week? Please grab the button from my sidebar and add yourself to Mr. Linky below.

18 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Beck said...

That is the PRETTIEST quilt square! I know that I'm too impatient to ever quilt, but I'm lucky enough to have several quilts that my great-grandma made me.

Steph said...

My bag is currently being felted in my :GASP: front-loader. Can I count that as finished? After it's felted, all that's left is for it to dry. Oh, crud. I also have to "install" the strap.

Close enough??

Anyway, I am so feeling you on the "this is supposed to be relaxing" thing. That's how I feel every. stinking. time I try to crochet.

Lisa said...

This is a cute block! I love baskets.

I took an applique class a few years ago and the only one I still do is machine- if I made a needle turn quilt I would NEVER use it- it would be too precious.

I also liked a technique they showed us with used fabric softener sheets: you sew it to your shape- "right sides" together, cut a hole in the fabric softener sheet and turn it inside out and hand or machine sew it on to your square. This way you don't have to worry about making your edge turn. AND it's recycling AND it makes your quilt smell good. (Quilters are such clever people, don't you think?)

Alisa said...

That is gorgeous. Quilting is one of those things that I just don't have the ablility to do!

The Raggedy Girl said...

What a lovely square. I have tried my hand at applique and have decided that when I have finished the squares I have I am not doing any more. I love patches and especially the really geometric ones but will leave applique to you and the other talented ladies who love it.
Roberta Anne

Dena said...

I am totally stealing Lisa's tip about the dryer sheet! I'm ok at needle turning until I get to a sharp turn or something really intricate - then I get into the jaw clenching too!

Liz Jimenez said...

Oh, how lovely! Applique is one thing I have not even attempted, so you have my awe. :-)

My Finished contribution is not so crafty, but important nonetheless!

mames said...

the basket looks lovely and like something i am totally not ready to try. good job.

is it okay that my finished project involves a whole lotta' alcohol? i need it after the week we have had. whew.

Cheryl Lage said...

How is that cheating exactly? STUNNING block. My mom is an applique quilter too, and I keep saying I need to do an entry on the wall hangings she did for the kids.

Now if you REALLY want to see cheating, there's my entry today ;)

I do have such high hopes for next week....

(and thank you for your incredibly kind comment on my recent unemployment-spurred post. Very appreciated. :) )

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful and I can see the work and time that would go into it..I guess you are just amazing.

Debbie said...

I'm blown away by that and you don't want us to look too closely? It's great.

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful!!

debi9kids said...

I think it turned out just beautiful!
PS I have lots of projects like that... should be relaxing, but instead are very very tense....lol

Cheryl said...

Great job on your block.. absolutely beautiful!!!

Patty said...

I have no idea what needle turn applique is but I think that block is really pretty. And, you're a better person than I am. I just throw things away if they frustrate me too much.

Lindsay-ann said...

Your basket applique looks beautiful. Thanks for showing it.
Lindsay

Browndirtcottage said...

Hey girl....your applique is really cute....just let me tell you....the older you get the less your jaw will clinch....well sorta!

Eileen said...

Well it is looking really good. I'm doing some applique right now too.. but I am afraid to try the needle-turned method. For some reason I like to have all the edges turned under and the piece pinned on just right. I'm afraid it will move to the wrong place if I try the needle-turned way.. but maybe I just don't understand how it really works. :-/

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs