Friday, February 22, 2013

Finished for Friday: Block keeper

Some quilt blocks take a long time to put together, or embroider, or embellish.  I used to roll them up carefully or try to set them on a table between work sessions hoping things wouldn't shift around too much.  Of course some clever quilter came up with a pattern to keep blocks in progress.

I made this from an orphan block.  I made the block in an applique class years ago and it's been sitting in my pile of orphans.  Perfect size for this project.

The front and back pockets have foam core inside and a flannel surface for blocks in progress to stick to.

Here's an example of some hexies ready to go.

I'm excited today because Drama Girl is coming home tomorrow.  She's been on an extended trip through the South visiting historic civil rights sites and meeting people who were involved.  It's a huge history lesson and we've enjoyed hearing her talk 90 miles an hour on the phone about the whole adventure.  Ten days is a long time though (for me!) so I'm ready to have her come home and tell me everything in person.  I'll be a wreck when she goes away to college.  I can already tell.


2 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Melissa said...

What a clever idea. I really like the orphan block you used for it too.

Hmmm - children leaving home...sigh - it happens, doesn't it.

Rosemary said...

That's a great block holder. I like the idea of the foam core. My block holder doesn't have any stiffening and I've never been happy with it.
Children leaving home is a big adjustment for everyone concerned. I know exactly how you feel about it. Hugs.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs