Saturday, August 9, 2008

Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust

I try to teach my kids. I think every parent does. Teach them to face their fears and be ready for what the world has in store for them. Usually the best teaching is by example.

Drama Girl has never liked roller coasters. She can tell by looking at them that they will be too scary for her. She particularly doesn't like any ride that has big drops or can get her wet. There are a few coasters at Disneyland, but the only one she has ever consented to go on was the little one in Toontown.

Enter the cool aunt and the new uncle who joined us for a day at Disneyland. Somehow between us we talked Drama Girl into going on Splash Mountain, 50 foot drop and all. Only a huge amount of love and trust would have worked in a case like this.

For the record, Drama Girl is turning 12 next week, and most of the time I am her embarrassingly uncool mom. It's hard to be that age and have a crazy mom like me. It's hard to do things with the family when you'd rather be reading your tween magazines or shopping. Sometimes just even being with your parents is just unbearably dreadful.

So as the logs were being loaded for the ride, I stood forward and offered to sit in the front. I knew I would get wet. I knew I had one chance to make a point. So as the log reached the top of the ramp just before the plunge, I did it.

I put my hands up high in the air.

I got soaked when we hit the bottom of the flume.

I laughed. Because it was fun. And it was funny that I got so wet. We're talking all that hair that I had blow-dried to perfection in the morning, my shorts, shirt, new leather purse. Everything.

We got off the ride laughing at ourselves. Everyone turned to Drama Girl. "How did you like it?"

She looked at me and grinned. "That was great! Let's do the Matterhorn!"

From that moment forward, I started calling her coaster girl.

She lost a tooth at dinner that night. The next morning she woke up to find that Tinker Bell had left her not only a Disney dollar for her lost tooth, but an autographed picture from Ariel. She looked at it for a bit and then asked why the tooth fairy would have left it.

"Because it's Disneyland and she wanted to give you something special." [And when you slip out of the Storyteller's cafe to get a Disney dollar at the front desk of the Grand Californian hotel they go overboard and give you an autographed picture to go with it.]

She pondered this a moment and then said "I don't really need this, I'm going to give it to the first little girl I see at Disneyland who's dressed like a princess."

And she did, much to that little girl's delight.

And as we walked towards the Matterhorn (her new favorite ride) she did something I can't remember her doing for a long time -- she slipped her hand into mine. I was in heaven.

Thank you Disneyland. That's some powerful magic you've got there.

20 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Liz Jimenez said...

Awwww!!!

Oh, wait. One more time.

Awwww!!!

Love that story! Love every little bit of it!

Jaime said...

*sniff*

that was probably one of the best moments of the trip!

It's nice to know that you can still have those "little moments" even as they prepare to enter the teen years.

zakkalife said...

cute story and I really like the title

sounds like a wonderful vacation

Anonymous said...

That is the thing about D-land that enthroalls me everytime. I makes you brave AND young all at the sametime.Magic. Just pure magic moments like those. Thanks for sharing

Nancy said...

A great reflection on you - her giving that picture away. How very sweet :)

And yup - tears in the eyes for her putting her hand in yours. Gotta love Disney!

Crazymamaof6 said...

what a sweet story! love those small moments when they let you be the mom. and love ya! WHOOHOO for coaster girl! that is exciting!

Anonymous said...

OMG that is so sweet. I really loved that story. But really you are such a good Mom and it comes through that you take the time to make your children's live special. Bravo.

Cheryl Lage said...

Okay, I'm weeping openly...and I'm going to blame it on my cycle (since I can). What a wonderful, wonderful story on so many levels...the Disney folk going the extra mile to make tooth loss special, your daughter making a little princess and subsequently and overpoweringly making you feel special...and then you -- making us feel special for reminding us of those irreplaceable, unpredictable, unmatched moments of motherhood done well.

I need a tissue....

Anonymous said...

That was really sweet. It made me remember those times with my mother--quite few and far between since we're not the closest. Made me get the tickle in my nose and tears in my eyes. Thank you for such a sweet post.

Straight to Your Hart said...

True magic in every sense of the word...Love those moments, I think "Tink" was thinking of you..

debi9kids said...

Suh a sweet post! How lovely to read this...magic is still in the air! YIPPEE!

Anonymous said...

Awww -- I love that. I'm thinking about maybe taking MP to Disneyland next year -- don't know who's more excited!

Unknown said...

Awwwww, how sweet! This post is so loveable, I'm giving you the loveable blog award! :) See my blog for details!

Anissa Mayhew said...

How precious that!! It's awesome to hear how the Disney magic brought a little bit your big girl back to you, while reminding you of the inner little girl inside.

Patty said...

I just love when you write about your kids. We need to get you a book deal.

Coloradolady said...

Well great for Drama Girl. I myself, will not ride this ride, nor any of the big coasters. I am a big fat chicken.....and wish I was not.

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

Very sweet!!

Grand Californian? Nice.

Cindy said...

This actually made me tear up a tiny bit! Great story!

(My 11-year-old is starting Middle School in the morning...I may be just a tad emotional already! LOL!)

Claremont First Ward said...

Oh. how. utterly. sweet.

Have you posted about how you almost lost Jungle boy?

Anonymous said...

Aww...how sweet. I too love Disney. We just got back this week from Disney World. I've been working hard at getting my daughter on some bigger rides. She's 8. She love water so I've been able to get her on Splash Mountain since she was 5, but nothing else. This time she rode Rockin Roller Coaster and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (several times each). With a little Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust, we'll get them there. :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs