Thursday, September 25, 2008

Vintage Thingies Thursday: The Land of Make Believe

This is a poster-sized picture I picked up years ago called "The Land of Make Believe." Sorry about the flash on the picture - I had trouble capturing the colors without the flash. It's really colorful, if a bit faded.

The land is populated by nursery rhyme and storybook characters and the places where they lived or had adventures. There are captions throughout.

It has wonderful detail, and the kids and I used to spend hours playing I spy with it.

Down in this corner you can see the "Copyright 1930."

Since I put this up on one of our hallway walls, several visitors have commented about how they used to have it up in their rooms when they were kids. One electrician had tears in his eyes because of the memories it brought back for him. Awwwww. I have to assume this was a pretty popular poster back in the day.

I googled it today, like I have many times before, but today I actually found some information. It was created by Czech artist Jaro Hess, and part of it has even been used for an album cover. You can buy a modern reproduction here. Many thanks to blogger "Daddy Types" for the information in the post "Freaking Out Children Since the 1930's: The Land of Make-Believe Map by Jaro Hess." He seems like a pretty funny guy.

For the Vintage Thingies Thursday carnival , visit Confessions of an Apron Queen.

15 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Cheryl Lage said...

How WONDERFUL!!!! Will have to go check out Daddy Types' assessment...Hess seems no Hieronymous Bosch...this seems pretty intriguing without intimidation. Think I'd be tempted to aattach some photos of my bathing wee ones in the Water Babies' splash spot!

(PS My post today has an image you might want if you ever re-design your blog... ;) )

Grandma Faith said...

Your poster is delightful and I enjoyed the explanation you included for us. Take care.

Coloradolady said...

wonderful poster. I seem to remember seeing something like that so very long ago, but am not sure. This would be something that would hold your attention for hours and not grow tired of looking. Great post and a great vintage poster.

Patty said...

That is such a cool poster!

grace said...

That is really cool! How is it holding up? I'd think 75+ year old paper might be a bit brittle?

Carrie said...

Wonderful print...and the history you provided is intriguing.

Anonymous said...

The electrician was sniffling? I love that! What a sweet memory this must have been.

Nancy said...

That's awesome! I may have to find something like that...I'd been thinking world map, but this might be even better. Thanks for sharing :)

Jamie @ Bungalow Bee said...

Wow - I really love that poster! Thanks for sharing!

Miri said...

Great poster-very pop art for the 1930s. Have to check out Hess' other work. Thanks for sharing this.

Amy said...

You know, this looks like those where's wally pictures, you know how you can stand there for hours and each time you find something new!

Laura said...

Wow. Do I ever love that. (Kids today, by the way, don't know the nursery rhyme characters OR many classic fairy tale characters- unless of course Disney made a movie.)

Anonymous said...

WOW what a treasure and such beautiful detail! Isn't it lovely to find out it's origins? xx

E said...

It's gorgeous and looks like such fun!

Eileen said...

This poster is just totally awesome.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs