Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Vintage Thingies Thursday: A Walk in the Woods




This is the very large oil painting that rests over our mantle. I don't know how old it is. We love to hike and I particularly love forests, so I was really happy when my husband bought this years ago from an antique store.

The scene shows a path through the woods that opens out to a sunny meadow area. You can see the path continue into the depths of the woodsy background.

I play a little game with the kids sometimes when we're in the room with this picture. I ask them if they would continue down the path or stop in the meadow today. I get different answers on different days, and different reasons for those answers.

Either way, it's serene scene that I love. I hope my kids remember as they plow their way through life's forests that they should stop and notice and enjoy the unexpected meadows.

***************
Did you finish anything fun this week? Be sure and join me tomorrow for "Finished for Friday!"

20 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Unknown said...

What a great conversation starter! It is definitely a serene picture. I wonder where the path leads.

Lynn said...

What a neat picture. I love it.

JEWELGIRL said...

I would love to take a walk down that
path! It is a wonderful picture!

Amy said...

I like it! I love outdoor paintings and yours looks like a lovely peaceful picture!

Anonymous said...

I love the serenity of this picture, just beautiful.

Anonymous said...

A lovely picture and it beckons you to walk down the path

Roslyn said...

Now here's vintage that is timeless. I know you must really enjoy this painting.
Roslkyn

Coloradolady said...

That is just my type of picture. I love it. Makes me think of a mountain trail

Miri said...

Lovely painting-it really does invite you in to take a walk in the forest.

What A Card said...

Pretty...I love a painting that can make me think and feel something!

Anonymous said...

I keep looking for Smokey Bear in it! I know he has to be somewhere! Pretty picture. :)

American Homemaker said...

That is a really nice picture. It's a great one to play the imagination game with.

Grandma Faith said...

Your picture is beautiful, and it's so wonderful how you inspire your children with it.

Roslyn said...

Thanks for the invite to Finished Friday, I joined! Now how do I remember......?
Roslyn

Carrie said...

The painting is beautiful, and how nice it is that you enjoy the painting with your children.

Diane said...

How lovely that you get your children to picture themselves in the painting! It's really a great forest piece.

Kellan said...

That's a beautiful painting - great post too!

Take care - Kellan

threesidesofcrazy said...

What a serene and beautiful painting.

Anonymous said...

very sweet!

Kellie said...

What a lovely painting.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs