Sunday, February 15, 2009

Vacation in Captivity

Who came up with the idea of "ski week" anyway? Does everybody really ski? Do kids in Hawaii have ski week?

I really don't like this extra week off. I would rather have the kids in school this week, and start school after Labor Day, instead of the third week of August.

In just a few more weeks they'll have Spring Vacation. Plenty of down time there to beat the doldrums and give their brains a rest before the long academic push to the end of the year.

But the reason I'm really grumpy? Rain. It's raining cats and dogs here. Great if you're going up to the mountains skiing I guess (which we're not - husband doesn't get the week off for some reason). So I will be here for a week. With the kids. With pouring rain outside. Oh my.

I sense a relaxation of the video game rules coming on. I also think I'm going to need to slip out to a quilt shop today for some mental health supplies for myself. I'm also bracing myself for a Harry Potter movie marathon.

It's going to be that kind of week.

12 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Anonymous said...

We don't have ski week but my kids get the week of Thanksgiving off but start school in August which always screws up some sort of vacation plan. I'm with you sister.

The Raggedy Girl said...

Wow, my hubby is a teacher and I would go skiing to get him home for a week. But not if I had to have the kids too!

Roberta Anne

Cathi said...

I often wondered why school would start in late August there. Now I know.
Hope the rain stops!

Anonymous said...

I grew up in Florida. I've never heard of ski week.

Cheryl Lage said...

Having grown up where Sarah.Goon Squad Sarah dwells, I also have to confess I've never even heard of ski week. Beach week, yes....

FaithChick said...

Of course you know we dont have a ski week. Although my husband would give up a kidney to have it. I will praying for you....and your kids! =0P

Unknown said...

I'm with you and I only have tomorrow to deal with! I was just thinking today that my perspective on days off as a parent are SO different than they were when I was in school :)

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

I'm jealous. A full week off school. As a homeschooler that is connected to a public school requirement, I would love a week off!!

Jen @ One Moms World said...

Wow.. we have three different ski places here in our mountains and we don't have ski week. I bet the kids would go crazy. I think video games sounds like a good plan :)

Jocasta said...

If it makes you feel better it's raining here and has been raining all day for the past four days and it's the middle of summer - we have been totally ripped off!!

MeekoRouse said...

We never had ski week growing up in Indianapolis. We did, however have some snow days where school would get canceled or we'd go home early from school because things had gotten so bad between when we went to school in the a.m. and the afternoon.

Anonymous said...

What the heck? Ski week? I'm moving out there. I mean, I don't ski (the one time I tried it I got lapped - yes lapped - by blind 5 year olds), but I think a whole week off for no good reason is an excellent idea!

Hopefully it extends to everyone and not just school children ... otherwise there might be a glitch in my plan. lol.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs