Sunday, March 14, 2010

Makes My Monday: The Future

I'm an expert in wistful mom thoughts. With a sigh I remember getting the kindergarten packet to sign for Drama Girl. I remember filling in all the forms and gathering proof of our address.

Last Friday Drama Girl came home with another fat packet of forms - for high school this time.

How did this happen???

Back then, I was confident that she could stand still in line, hold scissors correctly and write all her letters.

Now I look at her as she sketches out her next four years, full of advanced placement math and science and Shakespeare. She wants to do it all; every difficult, challenging, class that will get her one step closer to her college dreams. Which will get her one step closer to that ultimate dream, a happy comfortable life.

I miss that little 5 year old girl terribly. I miss Readmore Bear, who came home when it was her turn and listened as we read stories to him. I miss fingerpainted art projects and carefully printed and stapled little books she copied all by herself.

And while I admire her determination to do it all, when she volunteered to commit her summers to summer school to get ahead, I had to rebel.

"Take summers off. Do some life-learning and reading and just play. You only get to be young once."

And how short that once really is.

So while I share her excitement about her bright future, this Monday is also tempered with some sadness that the future will arrive all too fast.

To see more Monday thoughts, visit Cheryl at Twinfatuation.

11 people stopped folding laundry to write:

debi9kids said...

OH! This post made me feel weepy. (3 of my kids are in highschool and the more I think about it, the more it makes me want to cry at how fast it has gone.)

Dena said...

She CANNOT be going into high school!! Holy cats! It's just not possible!

Shay said...

She sounds like a remarkable young lady. You must be so proud of her.

You were right to tell her to take the summer off to be a kid. The next four years will be full of responsibility and change and she needs an opportunity to have some fun.

I bcame a grandparent last year (a very young grandparent I hasten to add) and I know only too well how fast our little people grow up. My daughter first and now I'm watching my grandson. I recall my daughter starting high school 6 years ago and wonder where the time has gone.

Merri Ann said...

Wow ... I'm at the other end. Mine oldest will turn 5 this year but won't be starting kindergarten until next year ... but it makes me sad to think of her gone all day ... having a whole other life without her family. it is all going sooo quickly.

You must be so proud of her ...

Elizabeth said...

My kids are only 8 and 10 but I can't believe how big they are already! It makes me sad to think of them growing up, so I can totally understand where you're coming from! Hugs!

monica said...

Oh time goes so fast! I have another year before Kindergarden and I know the tiem will go super fast!

Miri said...

I totally agree-take summers off! All too soon she'll have to grow up and work summers too!

I remember once reading something that said, enjoy your kids-clean house later-they grow up so fast...all too true!

magda said...

Wow!

Looking back at high school, I wish I had taken more summer school courses: they're easier to focus on and make good grades. Depending on how much time they take up, DramaGirl might still have time to play ... and that could leave room for extra electives or study hours during the school year. (Strangely enough, I wish I had taken a math course in summer school so I would have gotten my favorite math teacher for another year of algebra.)

One idea is to try it for one summer, but not commit to all the summers.

Denise said...

I am filed with tears for you and myself. I just got the boys Pre-k packet. I feel like it was just yesterday that I was bring home my babies.

Cheryl Lage said...

Oh ThreeUnder...what an amazing girl DramaGirl is, and what a mom you are. I'm weepy reading this...you've so beautifully evoked those moments of transition when we know they are getting bigger and we're proud...but so wistful. Knowing I'm not alone, and that you are my similarly minded e-friend Makes My Monday.

Sending you a big hug. :)

slow panic said...

why do they keep doing this to us? growing up? it's not right.

i keep telling myself high school is forever and ever away --even though i only have three years left. or four. depending on how you count it.

i'm going with four

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs