Friday, May 2, 2008

God laughs at my plans


Clearly I'm not meant to clean my son's floor this morning. Who could destroy such lovely play-doh art?

But the plans I speak of are much larger and more ironic.

I play the harp. Darling daughter 11 plays the violin. The time has come for my twins to pick which instruments to play in middle school next year. I had a vision. A beautiful vision. . . me at the harp, DD11 at the violin, DD10 on the flute, DS10 with a cello. Imagine the chamber music we could make! I had our Christmas card all planned.

Then the day came for instrument tryouts. First to the orchestra room. They both liked the cello and did well. DS10 liked the bass. DD10 started to lean towards viola. All well and good. On to the band room. There were lines 10 students deep at every instrument station. I waited with DD10 in the flute line while my son wandered off. Daughter's flute aptitude was good, but the flute section was full already with a waiting list, so we headed to the clarinet line. I looked for my son and noticed he was trying out the trombone. uh-oh.

Long story short, they tried every instrument and discovered they had definite skills. Next year our lucky household will have a daughter who plays the alto saxophone and a son who plays the trumpet. *sigh*

1 people stopped folding laundry to write:

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

That is Play-do art??? Your son is very talented. I love your blog. You seem like fun!!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs