Friday, June 20, 2008

It's My Birthday Today! Gifts for me and you.

Today I am 46 years old. The family is going to celebrate by going to see "Kung Fu Panda" and then going to my favorite Chinese restaurant.

In the inevitable fashion of the blogosphere, I'll bet that some of you want to wish me a happy birthday. Thank you very much in advance.

I'd like you to give me a gift (aren't I greedy?). I'm hoping that you'll enjoy giving it to me.

Please, can you gift me with a link to your favorite recipe? I even promise I'll try it and write up a review with a link. Can be from your site or anywhere. Only one rule: No mushrooms please! I really can't eat them. I've had them prepared just for me by a wonderful French chef. I still couldn't choke them down.

I love to cook, but I wouldn't say I'm an expert. I promise to try every recipe you leave for me, even if you post it long after my birthday. Thank you for such a lovely present!


**************************************************

Now on to my gifts to others!


I have to give a huge thanks to Scary Mommy for giving me my first ever blog award. Isn't it pretty? It's the "Arte y Pico" award, which started with this website (I know, it's in Portuguese). From what I can tell, the original intention of this award is
"dedicated to many who nourish and enrich the spirit and creativity. They see dedication, creativity, camaraderie, joy and above all, ART - much art. I wish that this prize is entertaining to all bloggers who share this space and enrich it a little more each day." ~ Arte Y Pico

The rules accompanying this award are simple;

  1. You need to choose 5 blogs you consider deserving of this award for their creativity, design, interesting material, or contribution to the blogging community regardless of language
  2. Each award should have the name of the author and a link to her blog to be visited by everyone
  3. Each winner should show the award and put the name and link to the blog that presented her with the award.
  4. The award winner and the one who has given the award should show the Arte Y Pico blog so everyone will know the origin of this award
  5. Show these rules
I can think of many blogs that fit the bill, but I really want to give it to the following outstanding artful bloggers. Please visit them!

  1. First and foremost, my new favorite blog as of today, The Bouf Kids Have Something To Say. . . This is a multimedia cornucopia of creativity created as a homeschooling project by the wonderful family of BoufMom9, who is an incredible mom of 8. Go visit these kids, see their great artwork, and leave them a kind comment and sign their guestbook with a picture.
  2. Leanne Wildermuth: Artist By Nature. I absolutely love her nature pictures and drawings of animals. Beautiful blog to browse through. Take time to look at her whole website. She even has a studio cam.
  3. Vintage Transfer Finds is my island of sanity and dose of nostalgic bliss. Even if you're not into embroidering dishtowels (what? why not?!?) The pictures she finds and posts are cheerful any day. You'll think fondly of grandma's house when you visit her site.
  4. Art is in the eye of the beholder, and sometimes even cooking can be art. Noble Pig, step up to the podium here and get your statuette. Your beautiful illustrated recipes make me drool.
  5. Carissa over at Good and Crazy People is the seamstress with the mostest. I love her blog, although I'm nervous that she sucked me onto twitter. She makes marvelous tote bags. I want the scraps from her sewing room floor, her fabrics are so gorgeous.
There you go -- enjoy these great blogs today and don't forget to come back and leave me a recipe.

16 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Liz Jimenez said...

Happy Birthday!

Well, you've already seen the Chicken & Couscous Salad recipe I posted a few weeks ago. So I'll pass on another old favorite from when I used to get Cooking Light, Hoisin and Bourbon-Glazed Pork Tenderloin with Three-Fruit Salsa. Enjoy!

Beth said...

Happy birthday, 2/3!!! I hope you have the most wonderful day ever. Recipe to come later. Its my grandma's and I have to go home and get it from the handmade cookbook she so lovingly made for me. ;o)

~Beth

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

1) Happy Birthday. Enjoy it!

2) Holy crap! An award? I'm surprised and grateful. (I'll havae to think about how I can screw up this like I screw up the MEMEs)

3) Recipes...hmmm. I'll work on a few and get back to you. I'll email some posts, how 'bout that?

4) An Award? I twitter you anyday.

(and I tried PoshMama.com, not quite as good, but sort of, and more personal--only moms/women)

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

I just stumbled That noble pig site. Oh My Gosh. Go stumble it too. and tell everyone you know. Let's make a Stumble Storm!

(Easy to download the stumble bar, or goto stubleupon.com and type in her blog I think will work)

Hurry.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you! Thanks for the award, I am humbled.

Here is one of my favorite cakes...

http://noblepig.com/2008/04/01/an-unfair-advantage.aspx

Enjoy!

Katrina said...

Happy Birthday! go here:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/03/sigrids-carrot-cake-perfect-for-easter/
for the best carrot cake recipe ever!
(and it is really easy)
If you haven't ever visited the pioneer woman's website, it is great... tons of great recipes! Enjoy!

Drew and Emily said...

I don't have a link to it but it's easy. You have a slow cooker right?

Put 4-6 (as many as can fit) boneless, skinless, frozen chicken breasts in the slow cooker with enough water (or chicken broth) to cover them by at least one inch.
Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Remove chicken, rinse with cold water, and shred with two forks (or your fingers).
Put in container, add as much BBq sauce as you want, mix, and shove in the fridge to sit for hours or days.

You can then have pulled chicken bbq sandwiches.

It's a very easy recipe that only requires you to think of it the morning that you plan to serve it. My boys love it and it's very little cleanup.

debi9kids said...

Happy Birthday!

Thanks so much for awarding my kids the award! They are going to be so excited! And, thank you for recognizing them. What an honor!!!

:) Debi
ps They may have trouble coming up with 5 blogs without my help as I haven't let them read that many yet. (checking content first. KWIM?)

Mary Ellen said...

Happy birthday!
First, just in time for blueberry season (my absolutely favorite fruit in the world!)
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/NO-BAKE-FRESH-FRUIT-PIE-103948
And this one is great for the fall. Everything mixes in one pan, and I think you can believe it's healthy because it has olive oil!
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/COUNTRY-PEAR-CAKE-106131

Burbank Babe said...

Okay, lady. I don't cook but you asked and it is your birthday.

Buy chicken breasts, I don't know how many to feed your family.

Rinse them, don't pat them dry and place in a crock-pot. Stab them with a fork.

Add some brown sugar, maple syrup, hot mustard (Coleman's power works great), salt, and pepper. There was another liquid that goes in here but I forget which one. Not alcohol, I'd remember that one. It was either orange juice or water.

Set on low for 6-8 hours. When done, clean the mess from the crock pot overflowing because I put in too much liquid or something. Fork the chicken to shred it. Servce with hard taco shells, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes (not the poison kind that is all the rage these days), and some sort of taco sauce.

Enjoy!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday my dear!

Here's your gift, a recipe for Snickers Bar trifle, it's sinful!

Whip 2 cups of cream until it's stiff, stir in 1 jar of caramel sauce. Make a box of chocolate pudding. In a bowl layer half of an angel food cake (cubed) then half the pudding, half the whipped cream and caramel then top with two smashed up Snickers bars. Then repeat again. Snickers don't smash very easily at room temperature, I'd freeze 'em and put 'em through a food processor. Unless you want big hunks of Snickers (which I have no problem with!).

Happy Birthday!

Leanne said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Thank you so much for the award. I am tickled that you found me and find my blog inspiring and creative enough to mention!

Here's a day full of yummy food for you:

Eggbeater veggie breakfast:
http://intricateart.com/blog/nummy-breakfast/

Chicken club brunch ring:
http://intricateart.com/blog/mmmmmm-good/

A Simple & filling Zucchini and Tomato pasta:
http://intricateart.com/blog/macaw-painting-prints-great-recipe-kitty-progress/

Scary Mommy said...

Happy, happy, happy birthday!!! Hope you had a great one :)
Excited to check out some of your favs!

Not so summery, but this is most most favorite stuffing. It's delish:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_35144,00.html

Anonymous said...

Here's my favorite. S&M's. You take a bag of Skittles, and a bag of M&M, and pour them in a bowl and mix them together. It's always a big hit at parties.

Happy 46th...

Claremont First Ward said...

Happy Birthday!
Here's my favorite salad:
http://angiecooks.blogspot.com/2008/04/my-absolute-favorite-salad.html

StitchinByTheLake said...

Happy Birthday - I hope it was a wonderful and fun day. If you check my blog on June 2 for a great recipe for Pico de Gaya. It's sort of an appetizer but I like it for a main dish for myself. I don't think the kids would though. :) I found you through Vintage Transfers - enjoyed your blog. Blessings, marlene

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs