Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Fun Crafts to Annoy Your Kids

Have you ever heard that tell-tale rattle that tells you the vacuum cleaner has slurped up another lego or Barbie shoe? Have you sworn you will never buy another toy with 57 tiny little parts again? Do you harbor the secret suspicion that your kids would never miss some of their toys if they disappeared? Have I got a craft project for you!

First, you need a bunch of tiny annoying toys. I didn't have to look far to find this collection of Littlest Pet you-know-what all over the floor:


Let's take a close up of these nearly microscopic pieces. Why do kids love these so much?


Although these tiny toys were tempting, I scooped up a bunch that were even tinier. That little chick with the weird stretchy clothes. Polly Costalot Pocket.

Along with the toys you will need a plastic jar. I used a sprinkles jar for this one, but you could use a peanut butter jar. Don't have a peanut butter jar? Come to my house. My kids inhale it.

You'll also need some pellets that are used to stuff beanbags. These are easy to find at craft stores. I keep mine in a jar, and I keep a funnel with them.

Next, make a list of all the little stuff you've collected.

You see where this is going, don't you? Stuff those toys in the jar. Even this little jar held a bunch. Imagine how many you could put in a big peanut butter jar.

I recommend a funnel to get the pellets in the jar. Live and learn. You can build up some static electricity here, so be careful.

Isn't it cute? Looks like she's drowning in an avalanche or something.

Most important step: Seal it up with your hot glue gun. Give it to the kids with the list of little things to find and listen to their shrieks of delight. Or just shrieks. In my house, after trying in vain to get the top off (I told you to glue it!), all Wasabi Girl could say was "That was my best one!"

Of course now, she seems to remember to pick them up.

17 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Heather said...

You are so *crafty* ;) My little one is still too little for tiny toys but those days aren't that far off I'm sure!

Gerb said...

What an awesome idea...it makes me hope my little girls will leave their Furryvilles out today. I could even do that with Legos! I am loving the possibilities.

Cheryl Lage said...

PRICELESS! I'm going to start collecting jars now...I envision a future shelf like the one with Marty Feldman's head jarred in Young Frankenstein.

Bwahahahahahahaa!

(Great post!)

Kristen said...

You just totally stole my DIYP! Yours is better. You win. I loved this!

Jaime said...

I have those same funnels :P

What a great idea! Of course, in my house, it's more effective if the trash bag comes out!

Since we've moved, they've been REALLY good about picking up the toys! :)

Anonymous said...

This actually looks fun!

The Apron Queen said...

I have these darn little pet shop things & polly what's her name at my house too! When no one is looking, I just vacum them up. Shh, don't tell my kids.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm new to photography, but I'm really enjoying it & learning quickly. Once you figure it out & get good results, you just want to take more & more pictures! Look forward to seeing you around some more. :)

Here's a link to info on my camera & editing tools, just scroll to the bottom:
http://anapronaday.blogspot.com/2008/01/cast-of-characters.html

Tootsie Farklepants said...

I'm taking notes.

LauraC said...

This is so getting bookmarked for my future. This post made my day!

Scary Mommy said...

OK. This is perfect for my one-armed-for-the-summer girl. You rock!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh you made me laugh out loud with this one!

Mrs. Schmitty said...

I wonder if I can find a jar big enough for the Gameboys and their Wii controllers!

Alli Worthington said...

Brilliant.

Stumbled.

Beth said...

Love it! Think it would work with hot wheels? LOL

Anonymous said...

I love this! And Wren will be so annoyed at me. :P

Elizabeth said...

Love that idea...
I have to admit that I like the little Pet shop guys.
My girls got into Callico Critters last year. The "babies ar about an inch long and come with binkies that are maybe 3mm wide. Yikes!
Luckily, they put them all away to avoid little brother taking them.

Had to mention that I have the same rug! Great minds think alike!

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

Oh my. Great story. I thought this was a for real craft, oh so cute, the kids all happy to find the tiny little crap...

Oh I get it now...ANNOY your kids...ha. Ha.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs