Friday, July 4, 2008

My Stars and Stripes Quilt



This is my favorite quilt. I got the pattern online after September 11. I'm sorry to say I can't remember which designer posted it. A lot of quilt designers put up free patterns in the weeks following 9/11 to help people like me pursue our favorite form of therapy.

I was chastised at the quilt guild for mixing my whites and my off-whites. I don't go to that quilt guild any more. I'm too much of a rebel I guess. I think the different tones make the stars sparkle.

If you look for a really long time, you'll find the mistake. I noticed it after it was finished and I nearly cried, but a friend reminded me that Amish quilters put mistakes in their quilts on purpose. That made me feel better until I found out recently that that whole idea is a myth.

I posted this today because it brings me joy when I bring it out each year, and it stirs my patriotic spirit, which has certainly grown as I have grown older. I hope it makes you smile. Have a great Independence Day!


*******************************************************
Addendum

I've been getting so many hits on this page that I spent some hours tracking down the designer. You can find the pattern for this quilt in this book by Judy Martin:



To learn more about Judy Martin and to see her free patterns and an extensive gallery of quilts from her patterns, please visit her website.

Thank you to the kind people at Crosley-Griffith Publishing for answering my inquiries!

20 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Cheryl said...

I love your quilt, and I might add, the different mix of the whites and creams. That's what I always do...love the look. Some people should just keep their opinions to themselves :-)!!! Happy day to you and nice to find your blog.

Liz Jimenez said...

Holy crap, nice quilt! Now I REALLY want to get out my sewing machine... I miss quilting, even though I never managed something like that.

Cheryl Lage said...

Oh it is STUNNING! How I wish my mom had a computer so I could share your work with her! (Quilting was involved in how we told her we were expecting twins...oooh, there's a post in the waiting!) Love the fact that you got the pattern after 9-11...and think the blend of white and off-white is quite poetic really.

So three kids AND you quilt? You are the American dream! :) Happy Fourth!

Anonymous said...

That's really beautiful. I'm not going to look for the "mistake" because I think it's perfect. I've always wondered if quilting was something I might enjoy, and when I see pieces like this I feel particularly inspired to try...maybe one day.

Like you, I think my patriotic spirit grows with age as well. As ashamed as I am about so many things that go on in this country, I've been feeling a stronger sense of pride around this holiday this year. I actually just posted about this as well.

Happy fourth to you and your family.

Katrina said...

It is beautiful! I love the mixed whites and off-whites. =) I wish I knew how to quilt.

Scary Mommy said...

Beautiful job! I love the mix too! Happy 4th :)

Anonymous said...

Just gorgeous and happy 4th to you and your family!

Cheryl said...

Oh come in join in on the Designer Block of the Month. The fabrics are so wonderful and like you said, especially those polka dots!!

Nancy said...

Wow - that's an awesome quilt! The only quilt I ever attempted is still awaiting the batting *blush*

And pay no attention to those stuff people at the guild - be creative cuz it works!! :)

Jaime said...

gorgeous quilt! I didn't look for the mistake, and I love the mix of the whites and off-whites!

Happy 4th! I've posted the DL Fireworks on my blog. Enjoy! :)

Eileen said...

Your quilt really does sparkle! Very beautiful.
You should definiltey make another.. don't stop with just one!

And thank you for pointing out that myth. :-)

Jocasta said...

Happy 4th of July!

Love the quilt - it's really beautiful and I looked for the mistake and didn't find it!

Kellan said...

It's beautiful - WOW!! Happy 4th - ENJOY! Kellan

Des said...

Quilt Police should be basted and fat quartered! :) Saw that on a sign. Um....I love whites and creams together. Hello, that's why it's called scrappy. Also, I have stared and stared at it and I can't see the mistake. You must be hiding it on the bottom. It's gorgeous and just today I was thinking that I really, really need to break down and make a patriotic quilt! There I said it, now I must do it! You're awesome!

Amy said...

wow that is so pretty, I really should start quilting again myself :-)

debi9kids said...

That is just beautiful!
It reminds me of a wooden flag that I made on Sept. 12th. It is HUGE and hangs on the side of our barn shaped shed for all to see.
Every time I look at it, I am reminded of how I felt on those days, but also it stirs the patriotism in me.
Thank you so much for sharing!
:) Debi

Texasholly said...

You MADE that? Wow. I love the idea that it isn't perfect...otherwise a machine could have done it. Oh, and what is up with that quilt guild? I was under the impression that quilting was an art and there are no rules in art. What crazy people. The quilt is amazing and even more special that a rebel quilter made it...haha.

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

I love the colors! I agree, tell 'em to bite it!

My wedding colors were white and off-white and navy blue..so there.

The amish thing is funny.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!
I looked for awhile, but couldn't find any mistake. It was like a really hard Where's Waldo. So where is it?
Maybe my Quilt Natzi was a member of your guild. I love the mix of white shades.

Skye @ Planet Jinxatron said...

Stuffy quilt guilds, yuck!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs