Monday, August 18, 2008

Alone Again

The dear husband is going on a business trip Monday morning at the crack of dawn. I wont see him until Wednesday night. I'm thrilled.

Don't get me wrong, I adore my husband. I couldn't live without him. But I am an introvert in the extreme. I completely recharge when I can be completely alone. So once the kids go to bed and I have the house to myself, I will glory in it.

I will burn smelly candles in the bedroom, and stay up really late reading, without worrying that I have to turn the lights off because someone has to go to work in the morning. I might watch my favorite costume dramas on dvd, while eating chocolate covered pretzels, and doing my toenails. Because nobody will be around to make me feel self-conscious.

I'm going to "borrow" his pillow, which is fluffier than mine, and sleep sideways on the bed, with the covers exactly the way I want them.

The cats will always choose my lap.

I usually rearrange the furniture while he's gone. Don't ask me why. He always approves, it's just something I like to do without input. I might put different art on the walls or switch the rugs around (no small feat). I don't know why. It's just so liberating for me.

Then when he comes home on Wednesday night, the house will be a little different, and so will I. It's crazy, how much I enjoy this small freedom. But three days is about enough. Then I need him back.

Too much of a good thing can get lonely.

17 people stopped folding laundry to write:

LauraC said...

That's EXACTLY how I feel about my husband traveling. I relish the recharge time and it's so nice to eat rice for dinner and watch my shows without commentary and stay up entirely too late.

Unknown said...

That's exactly how I feel, too! My Honey worked this last weekend, and I loved being able to do what I wanted during the day.

I don't think he'll ever go on a business trip, though.

Enjoy your alone time!

Nancy said...

Wow - that's a perfect description :) I totally understand!! :)

Cheryl Lage said...

I'm a "Dad's away, the pillow's mine" kind of Mama, too!

[PS I tagged you for a meme if you're game!]

Claremont First Ward said...

Beautifully put!

Eileen said...

In April I totally redid our bedroom during one of these business trips. I could have never done it with him here, but he absolutely loves it. He's going away in again in September, so I think the livingroom is next.
Love your blog. redundancy I know.

Anonymous said...

I like sleeping sideways too, after DH goes to work - during the summer, that is - I have to get up early starting 2 weeks from now!

And I am also quite the introvert so I love time to myself - with a good book and maybe some Dutch mints, ideally.

Have a wonderful time!

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous of your free time. Enjoy it and put cold cream on your face.

Cynthia said...

I, too, love my husband to bits. However, I do love when he goes out of town for a night or two. Girl movies, eating the whole bag of popcorn by myself, etc, etc. Sometimes a girl just needs some alone time to appreciate the together time!

Anonymous said...

Totally relate. My husband goes for 2 weeks at a time. And I have decided that is the sucess of our marriage. Seriously.

Bob and Jenn Peacock said...

I couldn't agree more! My husband is a retired Special Forces Green Baret and he used to leave one weekend a month, just the right amount of time. It is amazing what a few days of doing what ever you want can do for you!

Anonymous said...

Wonderfully said!

Amy said...

I agree it can get lonely but it's a good chance to get some time out which we all need from each other.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean, enjoy yourself, sounds fabulous!

Beth said...

Go Introverts! I love having my time to just... do whatever I want! Blissful peace and quiet.

~Beth

magda said...

Whew. It's not just me. I've kicked my husband out of our bed a few times during this pregnancy so that I could thrash around and not wake him up. (Also, he has body heat which is a bad thing right now.) Of course, I can only stand that for a while and he's pretty patient with switching beds all the time.

I find that on his days off, I notice myself getting frustrated because I can't get done the things I want to. (Obviously, if *he's* on the computer, I should be on my computer, too.)

Elizabeth said...

Gosh, I think we are long lost relatives...I'm not by any stretch of the imagination be called an introvert, but boy am I a furniture re-arranger (right down to the rugs). Hope your time was great!
Pax, E

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs