Thursday, August 14, 2008

Vintage Thingies Thursday: Thornton W Burgess books




These are a few of the books by Thornton W. Burgess that I got from my parents when I was a kid. These editions were published in the 40s, but were originally written as early as 1910.

According to Wikipedia, by the time he retired, Mr. Burgess had written 170 books and 15,000 stories for daily columns in newspapers. Pretty impressive daily output in the days before blogging!

All of the stories reflect his love of nature and the details of the natural world, and add one of my favorite things - clothing on animals. I always wondered who made those little jackets and dresses and shoes. They're just so cute. If the animals make them themselves, where do they get the fabric? It's all a mystery we're not supposed to think about.



The illustrations are by Harrison Cady. These books have been reprinted almost endlessly and you can pick up paperback editions with the original illustrations from Amazon for about $2 each. They're great first chapter books for kids.

I love old books for children like this. Thanks for visiting. For more Vintage Thingies Thursdays visit Confessions of an Apron Queen.

16 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Laura said...

I think I may have to encroach on this "Vintage Thingie" thing.
I absolutely love reading this stuff.
And...I love old childrens books.

Anonymous said...

Oh! oh! oh! I have a new quest now. I'm going to be on the lookout for these books. I love the illustrations. How wonderful that you have so many and they were given to you by your parents...

Eileen said...

I absolutely agree with you. I think children should be learning to read using books like these. Mine all did. And I bet yours did too.

Anonymous said...

I remember books like these and my kids are missing out. I think I will check out amazon.

Anonymous said...

absolutely delightful vintage thingie! thank you for stopping by my blog...i'm enjoying my visit to yours.

Patty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patty said...

(I had to delete my previous post due to bad grammar.) I've never heard of these books or the author but I love the illustration. Clothing on animals is just so cute. I was trying to think of a good answer to your question about the fabric from but I can't come up with anything. Oh, I wish I had a bunch of kindergarteners to ask!

Coloradolady said...

Wow, I have never seen these books, they are really cute. What a great set you have, especially them coming from your parants. I can see you took very good care of them! Great post.

Charlotte said...

I love these old children's books too. Wish I still had the books I had when I was a child.

Beth Ann said...

WOW!!!
Those are so adorable! What great books! I hadn't seen those, so Ill be checking them out on the internet! CUTE!!!

Anonymous said...

The old books are wonderful :)



peace
#2

Stephanie said...

The illustrations in these books look so familiar. I'll have to ask my mom if we owned some of these books. Thanks for sharing!

Claremont First Ward said...

I didn't realize he was so prolific!

Amy said...

aww what lovely vintage books! I still have some of the ones from when I was little- they make great reading!

The Apron Queen said...

Love the illustrations in old books. Just bought a set of vintage Little House on Prairie books. Love the drawings in them

JEWELGIRL said...

What wonderful books, where have
all these books disappeared to?
Very tired of mass marketed "pop star,tv, cartoon" books. We need
more wonderful titles and artwork
like these for kids to read!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs