Wednesday, August 27, 2008

While You Weren't Looking

The four met up late one evening at a designated spot. Starbucks. Not the big one on Main Street, the little one down a side street. The barrista was mopping up. They looked up and down the street and went in, sliding into couches in a dark corner. Still plenty of time until closing. Still plenty of time to transact. . . business.

"Have you got the list of names?"
"Yeah, right here. We still need some key players though."
"How about Joe? He could do this job."
"Great. We'll add his name and tell him about it later."

"How much money?"
"Enough. A few thousand now, a few more to come in after the kids do the sales pitch."

"Got the schedule ready?"
"Yeah. It's all here. We're good as long as nobody drops the ball."

"We might hit a snag with Ann. She wants to be on the team. An insider. Wants to make decisions."
"Ann's cool. We can let her in."
"Officially? We'd have to rewrite the by-laws. I hear that's a real pain."
"No worries. I can have your by-laws rewritten by tomorrow."

"So we're all agreed? The whole thing is set up through June now? Have we got all the players, all the money, all the fake meetings?"
"Yeah, we're all set. I'll be in touch with each of you. We'll have an official-looking meeting next week. Keep everything on the up and up."

"Let's leave separately."
"I'll stay. I'm not done with my latte."

And that, my friends, is what happens at a clandestine PTA meeting. Not that I know anything about that sort of covert operation of course.

10 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Cheryl Lage said...

That's HYSTERICAL!!!!!

Think perhaps our church committees need to meet more surreptitiously as well.... ;)

Bob and Jenn Peacock said...

That is great!

Coloradolady said...

That was great. I was wondering where this was going...and then I knew. Very clever.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the PTA, I always knew there were clandestine meetings! Schools back!

Texasholly said...

OMG. This is genius and really the ONLY way to get the PTA to function.

Nancy said...

HAHAHAHA I could use some of those clandestine meetings at work ;)

Anonymous said...

I KNEW IT!! I just freaking knew it.

Laura said...

Wow.
This is too funny.
Lifetime Television worthy. :)

Anonymous said...

very funny!!

Fiona said...

sure beats meeting in a school staffroom!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs