Sunday, December 21, 2008

Always Open Gifts

It's time to relate the sad but true tale of a little joke gone awry. It involves a dingbat who does a lot of crafty stuff (me) and her sister with a sense of humor. There is a lesson to be learned here, and I hope you all profit by it.

You see, we don't always get together for Christmas, so gifts are often mailed back and forth. Last year on Christmas morning I unwrapped a box from her to discover she had sent a "Make Your Own Umbrella Kit." The box was covered in pictures of people sporting basic umbrellas, and described the 146 pieces inside. All I needed were some "simple tools" - which would involve a trip to the hardware store.

The box sat for a while on the counter, then it went into the garage. I briefly debated actually making an umbrella, and decided I just didn't have the patience to make something like that. Off it finally went to the thrift store for some other crafty person to tackle.

Months later, during a phone conversation, the umbrella kit came up.

"Did you ever open your Christmas gift?"

"erm, yes, thanks!"

"You didn't open it, did you?"

"um, well..."

"What did you do with it?"

"Well, I just didn't see myself making an umbrella, so I donated it."

. . .The sound of laughter from the other end of the phone line. . .

"It was a joke!"

"What?"

"The box! There was a pink fluffy bathrobe inside. The box was a joke!" More laughter.

"oh"

So this year, as I pulled gifts from her out of the big UPS box, I noticed mine is soft and squishy. Whatever it is, I'm opening it.

You can see a picture of the box (no longer available) here.

13 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Browndirtcottage said...

LOL.....I really don't know how to respond......you crazy girls

Coloradolady said...

LOL.....somehow, I knew that was what she was going to say.....a joke!! Well, someone got a shock when they thought they were buying a kit for make an umbrella and got robe instead....hopefully it was a women and not a man.

Laura said...

Wow.
That screams ME.
Yea.
Sorry.

Anonymous said...

That is a great story! I laughed out loud. Someone at the thrift store will get it, probably a kid who really wants to make the umbrella and cry because a robe is inside!

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

LOL!!! One time, we gave my little cousin (5-ish then) a present. I don't remember what the present was, maybe a doll? But we wrapped it in a hair dryer box - all we had on hand. She started crying when she saw it and didn't want to open the box. We tried coaxing. I think I finally opened the box for her. When she saw what it really was, she was very happy.

Jocasta said...

So funny! My siblings better watch out!!

LuAnn said...

Cute story. Somewhere someone is enjoying that fluffy robe this winter.

Kellan said...

That is a hilarious story! I was thinking, "Who would ever want or have the patience to make an umbrella" - thought it was so funny!!!

Have a great week - Kellan

Anonymous said...

LOL - I think I would have donated the umbrella kit too.

Scary Mommy said...

Oh, no!! Well, it makes for a hilarious story, and a very good warning!!

Anonymous said...

Oh man! That is rough. Although much nicer than the year my little brother decided to wrap a rock for me in a very, very large box. I still hate him...

Anonymous said...

Oh man! That is rough. Although much nicer than the year my little brother decided to wrap a rock for me in a very, very large box. I still hate him...

What A Card said...

Hee, that's so funny!

And I'm apparently in the minority, but I think a make-your-own umbrella would be kind of fun! I would have been disappointed with a robe :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs