Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Amaryllis Explosion

I love amaryllis flowers at Christmas time. This year I tried a new variety "United Nations." I was so excited on October 22 when I received these in the mail:



I soaked the roots for a few hours.

I planted them, watered them, and waited. And waited. On December 20, they started to bloom.



I do love them, and they are by far the tallest variety I've had yet, but I think next year I'll go back to my old standby "Clown" variety. They have a little more red and look a little more like candy canes. But these are gorgeous, aren't they? Worth the wait.

I get the bulbs from the Amaryllis Bulb Company. I've always had great success with them.

What has the elf been up to?

Duncan got into the wrapping supplies and decorated his little friends.

6 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous. I planted mine too late...1st week of December so they are only about two inches tall. That one is very tall!

Laura said...

Flowers that grow from bulbs seem magical don't they?
Elves that put ribbons on stuff seem magical too.

Laura said...

How did Noble Pig do that?
It said 0 comments when I typed...and I am a fast typist...does she have a secret cave passageway through which she comments?

Arlette said...

Your amaryllis is spectacular. The timing of the bloom is perfect and right on time for Christmas!
I would like to wish you and your family a very happy, healthy, and safe holiday season.
Mele Kalikimaka and Hauoli Makahiki Hou!
Aloha!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

Browndirtcottage said...

well........uh...'creative' elf!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs