Monday, November 23, 2009

What's Thanksgiving Without Disasters?


I've been looking for my turkey salt and pepper shakers for a while now. I found them carefully wrapped in a box with some other china. But when I unwrapped them - well, you can see what I found. Not so carefully wrapped after all, I guess.

I thought to myself at the time, "well, here's the worst thing that's going to happen this Thanksgiving." Seems like every once in a while there's a plumbing problem or a gravy disaster to mar the day. A broken turkey seemed a small price to pay. Boy was I wrong.

I adore my husband. I love the fact that he's been doing so much of the cooking since I've been unable to walk. He's wonderful. He is, however, a bit too creative for his own good.

Thinking that if marinating a pork roast in brandy was good, sloshing brandy all over the roast before putting it in the oven must be better.

The gas oven.
I was in another room at the time.

**KABOOM**

We're lucky the house didn't burn down when that brandy ignited and blew up the oven. As you read this, I'm waiting for a repairman and hoping it can be fixed. Whether it can or not, I already told my husband he is cooking the turkey out on the barbecue. It's going to be cold. The evil part of me hopes it rains a little.

I'm not really worried about pulling off the feast. I remember fondly back to college days when a friend showed me how to make an amazing Thanksgiving dinner using only a hotplate and a toaster oven - and a turkey on the barbecue.

I am so thankful. I am very very blessed, and I know it. Have you had any memorable holiday disasters? And what do you think the chances are that my oven will be repaired in time?

8 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Margi said...

Oh no! I am so sorry for both the loss of your turkey as well as the oven! WOWSER that could have been a total disaster. Yup, banning to the barbie is what I'd be saying as well. My disaster so far is a broken drain pipe from upstairs to downstairs. It's been a nightmare but one that is now under control,,,,or at least I hope so. I hope you have a great holiday.

What A Card said...

Yikes! Glad you're all okay, and hope it can be fixed!

We had turkey on the grill last year...it was delish! If it's a gas grill, really it's just a mini gas oven that happens to be outside. So no worries, your turkey should be perfect! (My BIL cooked it in a pan, just like you would in an oven, not directly on the grate. Looked and tasted exactly like a turkey cooked in the oven!)

Alisa said...

Oh no! I'm glad everyone is okay! I think that the oven repair may rely strictly upon your ability...or willingness...to pay.
Hope you have a great Turkey day!

Becca said...

Holiday disasters are the pits!!!! We always have Passover emergencies...mainly exploding water pipes! Hope your oven gets fixed nicely :)

Susan said...

Let me see if I can stop laughing long enough to comment.... bwahahahahaha! You lost me at "I hope it rains a little". lololol

Oh. I like you. :)

Can you glue the head back on the boid? Then tie a little ribbon around it's neck. Or a noose. To hide the glue line....

And the oven.... gosh, I hope it's fixable. I'm glad you didn't get hurt. What a surprise that must have been! Reminds me of when DH "rescued" a polarized capacitor that he found in a trash bin at work. It exploded (it was wired backwards) and burned a hole in our carpet in the middle of the room of the house that was for sale. And talk about shrapnel! Sheesh. He's lucky he lived thru that, both from the explosion and from ME. lol

Happy Thanksgiving to you. Thank goodness for grills!

Laura said...

Oh my gosh that sounds very scary. I hope no one was hurt (other than the roast!)

However you get it cooked, have a happy Thanksgiving!

Denise said...

I plugged the disposal on Thanksgiving day, and I have no dish washing machine. That was fun! and have fun repairing the oven.

Edith said...

This made me laugh...sorry about the exploding oven...looking forward to hearing more - hopefully that it's repaired without too much cost.

Have a wonderful blessed holiday.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs