Thursday, December 24, 2009

The 12 Joys of Christmas

Today is my day to savor everything about the season. I love Christmas Eve - I think anticipating the day ahead is even more fun than the big day itself. I'll be cooking and enjoying the day while I reflect on my 12 favorite things about Christmas;

  1. Receiving cards. Whether they are religious or silly, have a long family letter or just pictures of the dog, I love them all. It's like getting presents in the mail every day.
  2. The music of Christmas. I have over 1000 Christmas songs on my ipod. Enough said.
  3. Seeing my kids perform. Whether it's The Nutcracker, School concerts, or just their silly re-enactments of Christmas movies, I love their contributions to the season.
  4. Giving gifts. This just seems to get more and more fun. I love it when handmade gifts I've made with love are well received. I love selecting the perfect item for each person on my list.
  5. The movies of Christmas. I could do a whole post on this. I love many many of them and watch them all season long.
  6. The Christmas Eve goose I cook every year. Even the cats get a little nibble. Really delicious feast.
  7. Crafting. I finish presents well ahead of time, so I can sit back and enjoy creativity for its own sake during December. As always, this year I'm starting on ornaments for next year's gifts.
  8. Reading old favorites. I read "A Christmas Carol" every year. If you've never read it, it may surprise you. Few screen or stage versions can really capture the story well.
  9. Playing music. Whether on the harp or the piano, I love to dust off my old favorites every year.
  10. Entertaining. Whether it's rowdy kids or elderly relatives, this is the season to open the doors and pass the cookies. I love the chaos of a good party.
  11. Visiting. Even better than entertaining, because there's less cleanup involved. Bring on the interesting appetizers!
  12. Church services. One of the most beautiful times of year.
I could go on and on I guess. There are probably 100 joys of Christmas for me, and I'm going to indulge in many of them today. I'm off now to drink my eggnog and watch "Miracle on 34th Street" while my goose cooks.

4 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Browndirtcottage said...

ME TOO....ME TOO.....ME TOO....

ME TOO 12 times!!!

Knitty said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Unknown said...

I put "A Christmas Carol" on my Kindle this morning!

The Mother said...

I actually forced my youngest to watch "White Christmas" with me this week. He looks quite a bit like Danny Kaye--including the lanky, sort of disconnected style.

That said, I have an XM radio in my car entirely because one year I couldn't find any station in Houston that wasn't playing non-stop Christmas carols. Yes, the music is pretty. ONCE.

I think I've reached the limit of my holiday spirit. Unless someone breaks out the spirits. Then I might cheer up.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs