Sunday, February 21, 2010

Winter Awareness

My dear husband has been wonderfully gung-ho about taking on Boy Scout volunteer work. I think he's enjoying the adventure while helping our son discover scouting. Smart man that he is, he's avoided the main leadership roles because his work and travel schedule wont allow that level of participation, but he's an assistant for everything.

For weeks he's been studying snow camping skills and this past weekend he ventured out with some other brave dads to build a snow cave and camp out in it. His reward for all the hard work involved? In scouting reward = patches, so this is what he has to show for shoveling out over a ton of snow:

It made us all giggle a little bit. The Arctic Wolf is definitely cool, but "Winter Awareness?" I guess it's good to have someone in the family aware of these things. Winter can sometimes be a bit vague in California.

Now that he's certifiably "aware," he'll be back up in the mountains next weekend, and Jungle Boy will be with him, learning from his papa wolf how to make a snow cave. Maybe Jungle Boy will achieve seasonal enlightenment as well.

Celebrating family accomplishments makes my Monday. To see more Monday makers, visit Cheryl at Twinfatuation.

8 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Bea said...

Camping out in warm weather is one thing but camping out in a snow cave? EGADS! He deserves more than a patch!

Dena said...

So "seasonal enlightenment" made me spit on my monitor! Can I borrow that? LMAO!

The Mother said...

My kid from HOUSTON got his winter camping patch this year. In HOUSTON.

Global weirdness.

monica said...

That is funny! The weather makes the camping trip easier with no snow!

Alisa said...

That is commitment. Or a man ready to be committed. I'm wondering where in CA did they have to trek to for enough snow to live in?

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Funny and fun!

Cate said...

hmmm, winter awareness in cali. well, there's tahoe, of course, to get some field practice in wintery-ness.

but, a snow cave? ohhhhhhh. that's certifiably awesome!

Cheryl Lage said...

Winter awareness!?!?! I LOVE that! (and really think I deserve a badge--although the camping is SO not going to happen---with the winter we've had this year!) Family accomplishments are absolutely worth celebrating and Make My Monday, too!

Thanks for playing along, ThreeUnder. :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs