Monday, May 31, 2010

Makes My Monday: Marathon

Jungle Boy's birthday party was a little late this year so we could leverage a 3-day weekend for his heart's desire.

He had his best buddies in the world over for a Lord of the Rings movie marathon.  I have to admit, I didn't think they'd make it through.  He chose the extended versions, which I think are each over three hours.

First they had to see if they were as resourceful as hobbits, so I devised a "throw the ring in Mt. Doom" game.  The "ring" was a mentos mint and "Mt. Doom" was a bottle of soda modified with a foil cone to make it easier to get the mentos in.  Sorry I didn't get the full force of the eruption on film, it was pretty funny though.


Then, what party is complete without a "Pin the tail on the Nazgul" game?


Jungle Boy made this himself after googling the image and using a paint program to tile the picture. 

We served pizza and offered an ice-cream sundae bar.  Then they all settled in and started watching.  I didn't last long but my husband stayed up until about 1:00 AM with them.  When I got up in the morning they were still all watching it.  In total it took them about 12 hours to get through the whole saga.  Apparently they took a lot of breaks for snacks and to play on their ipod touches.

They all went home groggy but triumphant.  I suspect they'll be talking about this adventure for a long time.  In true form for my annual favorite compliment, Jungle Boy told me this was "the best birthday ever!"

Makes My Monday is hosted by Cheryl at Twinfatuation.  Please visit her for more happy Monday stories.

6 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Elizabeth said...

One of the extended versions of LOTR is actually 4 hours. Pretty awesome that the boys made it through. That sounds like a really fun party!

Cheryl Lage said...

When they contribute to the success and fun of their own party I bet it is that much more enjoyable! :)

thank you so much for playing along with Makes My Monday...and happy belated birthday, Jungle Boy!

AnyoneCanQuilt said...

That really does sound like the best birthday ever! My nephew stayed two nights this weekend with my girls. They built a fort in the back yard, watched Star Wars movies, stayed up late, and drank unfortunate amounts of soda. Now I'm the tired one! x

Melissa said...

I love the toss the ring idea - I bet it was fun and funny!!

Dena said...

Wow that birthday party sounded *awesome*!!

Texasholly said...

That is really cool - love that he printed it out!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs