Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Meet Bridget Stegman



Today I'd like you to meet Bridget Stegman, author of Summer Resolutions. Follow the instructions in the tab above to be eligible to win a $50.00 Amazon.com gift card.



Tell us about your book
Summer Resolutions is a collection of three short stories.  Maggie Mortin is the main character.  She is very neurotic and has great ideas that never turn out as planned.  Things never turn out quite the way she plans.  Afraid she will become bored during her summer vacation, she develops three resolutions: conduct educational research, save money and become more adventurous. As a result, she homeschools her children for a week, becomes a coupon-crazed penny pincher, and takes her children on a camping adventure.

What inspired you to write this book?
I just did it.  I had been told by lots of people that I should try and write a book.  However, I had trouble writing an entire novel.  I got very frustrated and felt like a failure.  I started working on short stories with subjects that I knew best.  I also wanted to write something that would make people laugh and feel good as they were reading.  Summer Resolutions isn’t a book that is going to change your life forever, but it will make you smile (at least that was my goal).

Do you have a favorite character?
Maggie

Are any of your characters based on people you know in real life?
Maggie is based on my sister and me.

What kinds of things did you research to write your book?
Since I had quite a bit of experience with the messes Maggie manages to get herself into, I didn’t have to do too much research.  However, I did research home schooling and the camping policies at Rocky Mountain National Park.

I have a lot of very creative readers.  Do you have other hobbies or creative pursuits besides writing?
I love to take pictures and scrapbook.  I always keep my camera with me at all times.  I also love to travel with my family.  In the past year, I picked up running after I was diagnosed with melanoma.  I’ve never felt healthier in my life!

What’s on your nightstand (or kindle) right now?  James Patterson’s Private and Sandra Dallas’ Whiter than Snow

Do you have any upcoming titles you’re working on?  I’m working on another short story collection with Maggie Mortin.  This collection takes place during the school year.

Where can we find your book?
My book is on Amazon.com

14 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Bridget said...

Thank you for featuring me!

Bridget

Burbank Babe said...

I LOVE reading short stories! YAY. This is on my list of "to buy."

Thanks, Sarah, for introducing us to so many neat sounding people!

Ann said...

Ok, so this is a short story collection, but the same main character is featured in each story?

Bridget said...

I hope you like it! My husband didn't find it the least bit humorous. He said, "This is the madness I have to live with everyday!"
:)

Bridget said...

Ann- you are correct. All three stories have the same main character, but with different adventures.

Nancy said...

Hi Bridget-

You mention that a lot of people told you that you should write a book...is that because of the stories you tell, or because you have a blog, or..? Just wondering where that comes from :)

I *really* like the idea of several short stories with the same main character - as a busy mom who loves to read, it's always a good feeling to finish a book, but know that you will read more about a character you've grown to love!

Nancy said...

Tweeted: http://twitter.com/no_zimmer/status/18537384816

Nancy said...

And shared on Facebook :)

Bridget said...

Nancy- I believe it comes from the stories I tell. They probably don't want to hear them, so they say that to be polite :)

Alicia said...

I cannot wait to get this book. It sounds like lots of fun.
Is this your first book? What other career(s) have you had (in addition to being a mom)?

Thanks!
Alicia

Bridget said...

Since I graduated from college, I have taught special education, and reading. I took some time off from teaching, and was a computer programmer/business anaylst for eight years.

This is my first collection of short stories.

Cynthia said...

Short stories are my new addiction. Maggie sounds a bit like me so I will definitely check it out - thanks for sharing!

Miri said...

I don't usually like short stories because if I get to like the characters-I always want more. I can see I won't have this problem here...I'm ready to meet Maggie!

Kathy said...

I have taught special education, and reading. I took some time off from teaching, and was a computer programmer/business analyst for eight years. thanx for sharing with us.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs