Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My Favorite Kid

Do you ever look around the house and see smiling faces and say to yourself  "I didn't give birth to all of these people?"

I do, and I love it.  The kids who come over, make themselves at home, know where things are.  The kids who bake brownies and clean the mixer and counters when they're done.  The kids who climb trees and wipe their feet when they come back inside.  Thanks for teaching them that, mom friends!

There's one who happens to come over at least twice a week.  She takes off her shoes,  gets her own after-school snack - usually a yogurt from the fridge - and pulls out her homework to finish when time permits.  The cats come out of hiding to greet her and play with her.  She laughs with us and takes our teasing and silly ways.

Everyone has figured out that I remember to bake cookies when I know she's coming over.  What can I say?  She's my favorite kid.  I like to spoil her.

I feel so lucky.  Do you have some extra smiling faces at your house?

3 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Debby Brown said...

I gave birth to two children, but several more call me mom. I make them homemade pizza when they come over. They get graduation quilts and now wedding quilts. I drew the line at funding their college educations, though.

Burbank Babe said...

My mom was one of you. She even got down on her hands and knees and hand-sewed my dear friend Marsy's wedding gown's hem a half-hour before the wedding because she felt so compelled. It just was second nature to her to want to mother Marsy.

Wendy said...

Extra face? Yes. Smiling face? No. Seriously, this friend of our daughter's mother has a lot to learn about teaching her children manners. This particular girl has actually insulted me on several occasions. Wanna swap?

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs