Monday, April 23, 2012

Design Wall Monday: William Morris block 1


I picked up a beautiful book of William Morris applique patterns.  Since I have a lot of batik fabrics I thought I'd try some of the blocks using batiks against a black background.

The shapes are pretty fussy to cut out and I'm glad I'm trying this one by machine, and not by hand.  It would be very slow-going for me with all those curves and points.

Here is a close-up.


The stitching goes very very slowly, but I like the effect. 

Design wall Monday is hosted by Judy Laquidara at Patchwork Times.

5 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Becky said...

Nice! Good use of Morris with batiks - I like the look of new and old together!

Melissa said...

I love William Morris - I have an book of embroidery patterns based on his work - they will take me forever!! But I do want to try one.

The batiks are perfect!!

Handmade Redhead said...

Beautiful! I love batik and those colors are perfect together.

Unknown said...

That is a gorgeous block. The black really makes the batik pop. I've always been too much of a chicken... and far too impatient... to do appliqué. Piecing takes enough all the patience I have.

Vicki H. said...

Very pretty and the batiks are a great idea. The blocks in that book look way too complicated for me but the results are stunning.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs