Monday, April 30, 2012

Makes My Monday: Prom dreams

Nothing, it seems, is going to hold back the tidal wave of time.  My kids just keep growing up no matter what I do.

Drama Girl is a sophomore in high school now.  I think I still have some 4th grade art projects on the wall of the garage.  I'm pretty sure she still has stuffed animals on her bed that are older than that.

But this little girl, my little girl, got asked to the prom not once, but twice.  I wasn't privy to the details of the poor boy who got rejected, but I do know that the boy who is taking her is one of her friends from Improv team.  Juniors and seniors are allowed  to ask underclassmen. Apparently he had a friend lure her to the quad at school at lunch time where he was waiting with flowers and a giant poster that said "Prom?"

Prom!  I'm not ready for this!  He asked her just 10 days before the event, which plunged us into the scary world of shopping for a prom dress.  I vacillated between sticker shock and telling myself that this is a big important day for her and then telling myself "hey, she's a sophomore, and they're just friends, not boyfriend/girlfriend."  Still, I was ready to fit her needs into our budget.

But sometimes blessings come when you least expect them and most need them.  She was hired  to babysit for a woman who was throwing a party and needed some teenagers to watch over the children of the guests.  Somehow in the course of the evening the topic of the prom came up and this incredible woman opened her closets and offered Drama Girl her choice of dresses!  She brought home five to show me and picked a simple, modest, lovely dress that is appropriate for a 15 year old.

I'm so happy for her.  Now I just need advice from moms who have been there on what to expect about prom night. 

Being just a little bit ready for the next big rite of passage makes my Monday.  Visit Cheryl at Twinfatuation for more Monday makers.

3 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Melissa said...

Yeah for the blessing this woman shared with you!!

My girls are young and it has been nearly twenty-five years since my prom - so I can't give advice.

But - I can't wait to see pics of your girl.

Liz Jimenez said...

Eek! Prom!

So great the way the dress situation worked out. What luck! I love it when the universe aligns like that.

No advice as a parent, of course. I was turning over in my head what I might do. The only thing that came to me, in this age of crazy post-prom parties and such, is that I would want to be the one HOSTING the after-prom. That is to say, I would offer to have a handful of my kids' friends come to my house, have plenty of snacks and all of that, let them stay up late and have a great time. Yes, I'd let the dates come, too. But I'd know that it was under MY roof, where I'd have a better chance of keeping them safe, a better chance of keeping the situation from getting out of hand. Naive? Yeah, probably. But that's all I've got for now... :-)

Handmade Redhead said...

That is great about the dress. I am so glad that she had one your daughter liked! I wont give parenting advice. I just sent my daughter and son off hoping that I had raised them right and went to bed. They were both in their beds in the morning, so I guess it all went well. I am just glad my youngest is done with all that now and I dont have to worry about it again until the grandkids start showing up. LOL

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs