Thursday, April 5, 2012

Show and Tell

While I'm enjoying the quilting seminar this week, I thought I'd share with you what I brought along for Show and Tell.

Of course, I reserve the right to totally chicken out of the show and tell period when I see the truly amazing quilts that some people are bound to bring.

The first time I went to this Empty Spools seminar at Asilomar, I was so incredibly star-struck by all of the famous teachers there that I ran around and got autographs from a lot of them.  Also some of my fellow classmates.  Probably even the janitor emptying stuff into the garbage behind the mess hall.  I was that giddy.

I took all the little white squares home and designed this quilt on an early version of Electric Quilt.  I just love the happy memories it evokes.  I also have some not-so-happy memories of fitting all those triangles together.  Just because blocks fit together on a computer screen doesn't mean they'll be easy to assemble in real life.


That same year at Asilomar, I took a class from Jean Wells.  I had grandiose plans to create a huge 50x50 inch quilt using this technique.  I would have to make millions of flowers.

I got a great start in the class, then took the blocks home and put them up on my design wall.  Then other projects came along and the flowers got pushed over to the side of the design wall.  For years.  I finally realized that I needed to change my expectations and just make a smaller quilt.  I love this one too, even though it's very small. 

For some reason my model decided to hold it up over her pretty face.  Not sure why.

Are you the brave show and tell type?  For all that I'm happy to display things on my blog, I get pretty shy about them in person.

1 people stopped folding laundry to write:

concretenprimroses said...

Stunning quilts. Love the flowers.
Kathy

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs