Friday, April 13, 2012

Suitcases coming and going everywhere


Every time I turn around I see a different suitcase either being packed or unpacked around here.  My husband travels frequently for work so I trip over his in the bedroom every other week (because seriously, I can't look down and brush my teeth and walk around texting my kids at the same time - I've tried).

Wasabi Girl and Jungle Boy have packed up and joined the school band for a whirlwind weekend at Disneyland.  I have fingers crossed for them that it wont rain. 

And the newest suitcase around here belongs to our exchange student from France who has just arrived.  He's 15 and will be going to high school with Drama Girl and living with us for the next two weeks. 

I'm so excited to have him stay with us, but at the same time I'm worried - are we normal enough?  What should I cook for him?  Drama Girl insisted that we have hot dogs for his first evening here.  I think that's rather a lame dinner, but it sure is American.  At least I could offer fresh chocolate chip cookies for dessert. 

I speak a little French, Drama Girl speaks a little French, and he speaks a little English, so there's a fair amount of "Franglais" and plenty of gesturing and synonym-searching going on around here.  Drama Girl fell over laughing when I tried to describe Alcatraz as "the place where the gangsters were imprisoned" while I made my hands act like a machine gun. 

Drama Girl and I tried to describe the redwoods by asking if he'd seen Rise of the Planet of the Apes.  After much gesturing and some google-translate help we determined that he had not.  So we tried Star Wars.  Oh yes! Everyone has seen Star Wars!  But he didn't remember the forest scene.  Then my husband came home from work and somehow we got onto redwoods again and he started trying the exact same movie references.  I'm pretty sure our exchange student thinks we're either crazy or movie-obsessed.

I've started a list of places near San Francisco that I think he might enjoy.  I'd really love to get ideas from you of places that a tourist might want to see.  What do you associate with San Francisco?  Or if you've been here, what did you enjoy seeing?  Thanks for your help!

3 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Denise P said...

For me the tourist spots in SF are Lombardi street, Golden Gate Park, the pier, Ghiredelli(sp?) Square, as well as the aforementioned redwoods and Alcatraz. Oh, and figure out a way to ride a trolly car!!

My hubby would want to go to the SF Mission (not the mission district, the actual mission) but I would pass on that.

Handmade Redhead said...

Depends on what he's into after you hit the major attractions (GGBridge, Coit Tower, Fisherman's Wharf, CA Academy of Science, etc) I prefer attractions outside of SF like Chabot Space and Science Center (which has a redwood grove right behind it), Monterey Bay Aquarium and Cannery Row (which would be cool if he likes Steinbeck), the Tech Museum, a baseball game.

Melissa said...

I just pinned this - it is cool - cool - cool

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/11/04/MNBF1LQ6TK.DTL

I imagine you already know about it...

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs