Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Big One

Today is my Birthday.  The Big Five-Oh.  My jubilee.

I've been sort of dreading this milestone.  When I woke up this morning though, I was greeted by a loving, understanding family who has helped soften the blow.

It's a number.  Just a number.  50 is the new 40, and as I recall, 40 was the new 30.  I'm probably not even middle-aged yet by some standards.

The one thing I do know, is that the years keep getting better and better.  I've overcome physical problems that had slowed me down. I'm not getting exhausted chasing toddlers all over the place.  I've figured out what hobbies nourish my spirit and I will probably never have to move to another house again.  I have so much to be grateful for.

So today, when my family asked me what I would like to do with my day, I answered from my heart.  I just wanted to go to the zoo.  We haven't gone as a family in ages, and I haven't been able to walk through it without pain for many many years.

So while I may not have the grace and beauty of youth,



Or the flash and intelligence of a genius,



I do have a pretty awesome family that puts up with me day in and day out.


And that's the best thing in life.

7 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Handmade Redhead said...

Happy birthday! I am glad you had a wonderful day.

Cheryl Lage said...

Fantastic perspective and SOOOO well articulated. Think I shall revisit this post on my 50th, which isn't too far into the future. :)

Have a wonderful, fulfilling year ahead, ThreeUnder!

Liz Jimenez said...

Happiest of happy birthdays to you!

Melissa said...

Happy Birthday and what a wonderful way to spend it - simple pleasures are often the best...

Rosemary said...

Happy birthday. What a lovely way to spend your milestone birthday, enjoying the zoo and surrounded by those you love.

Miri said...

Happy Birthday! What a great way to spend the day: fun and family!

Tami said...

Happy belated birthday! I celebrated the big 50 last year and I agree with you - it's just a number. And yes, having amazing family makes life great no matter your age.

50 is also a little freeing. My (older) sis and I joke about the things we no longer have to do cause we're 50+. "I'm 50 and I refuse to share a motel room with co-worker on business trip." "I'm 50 and I'll have the AC set to freezing and not apologize." :) Feel free to add to the list.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs