Friday, April 26, 2013

My Morse

I'm in love.  I saw this beautiful pink vintage sewing machine on eBay and I couldn't resist.  It's steel and chrome and about 40 lbs.  The seller says it runs great but I'm going to take it to a shop to be checked before I plug it in.  The plug is very vintage and very sketchy-looking to me.  It was a bit dirty when it arrived so hopefully the shop can help me get some of the grime off of it.

I can't find much information about these old machines.  This model is from the mid-50s I think.  The color is a bit more vibrant in person.  It was made by the same manufacturer who created a line of cars.  It's even stamped "Toyota" on the bottom.  I understand men and vintage cars a little bit more now.  This beauty was built to last, but is also beautiful to look at.  If it were a car it probably would have huge fins.  Like an old car, the parts are easy to come by and everything is accessible if one wants to tinker around and do repairs.  As fun as that sounds, I'm going to take it to someone who works with vintage machines all the time.

I always said I would never be one of those people who has extra sewing machines around the house.  I'm also the one who tells my kids to "never say never."  *sigh*   Don't tell anybody, but this is sewing machine number 4 for me. 

3 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Heather said...

She's a beauty. Great find.

Carol said...

It's so cute! Interesting about it being a Toyota. I saw this machine on eBay. I'm with you I love the pink color.

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

What a beauty! Yes, I have extra sewing machines too. They're fun to have plus I hate thinking of them being in some strange garage sitting unwanted. :-)

For cleaning it I recommend getting some TriFlow. It's silicone based and will clean up old gunked up sewing machine oil. It'll get the gears all lubed up and ready to purr. Just open up the machine and wherever you see two moving parts give it a bit. Then let the machine run (without a needle or presser foot) to get it distributed. Have fun!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs