Friday, December 6, 2013

Surviving School Concerts



My husband and I have been to many school concerts over the years.  We love our kids, and love their dedication to  music, but for the most part, these outings are usually over-long, overcrowded, and somewhat off-key.

Last night was the exception.  Jungle Boy has moved this year from the band to the symphony orchestra.  Of the three trumpet players, he is first chair - the lead trumpet.  At the beginning of the concert he blared out the opening notes from the Grand March in Tannhauser.  It just took my breath away.  My favorite opera.  His tone was golden.  It was absolutely beautiful.

He had solos throughout the program and the finale was the medly from "The Empire Strikes Back."  I braced myself for the campiness.  I was wrong.  I guess I've never heard this music live because it was fabulous.  Tons of trumpet.

All these years of lessons.  All the band practice.  Sometimes it takes a special moment to remind me why we pay for all these things.  I am so so proud of what he's achieved. Fingers crossed he still makes room for his music in the future.


The picture is the ornament I made for him last year. It's from a fabulous old book that's still available on Amazon:

2 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Melissa said...

It is important sometimes to have those special moments or little moments that remind us!! Yeah for Jungle Boy.

Wanda - Scraphappy Blended Quilter said...

The ornament is darling! What a special icon for this season of trumpet music in your family. I hadn't thought about the "pleasures" of attending all those band and orchestra concerts for my son just a few years ago. Enjoy!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs