Sunday, July 6, 2008

We're Going to Disneyland!



Last night I made reservations for our annual pilgrimage to the Happiest Place on Earth. We first took the kids when they were 3 and 4 years old, and at this point, we have as many traditions about going to Disneyland as Mr. Disney had ideas for characters.

  • We've got a jar with change we've been saving up for souvenirs. The kids have already rolled most of it. Sometimes grandparents contribute. Looks like somebody slipped in a fiver.
  • We've got our list of Disney movies, so we can watch old favorites before the trip.
  • We've got our list of penny press machines; my favorite cheap souvenirs.
  • I've got up-to-the-minute information from one of my favorite websites, Laughing Place. If you visit there, keep your eye on the pictures at the top of the page and you might even see a picture or two of me.
  • Just before the trip, I'll strategize how to avoid all the long lines by using a brilliant bit of software called Ridemax. This is a must! Besides saving you hours of time waiting in lines, it's just darn fun to play with.
  • The kids each have a personalized tote bag, which they'll fill with things to keep them busy in the car during the 7 hour ride. This picture is from 2004, when Drama Girl was a bit smaller. I also made them Disney pillows and character quilts for our trips. Go ahead, I know you want to say it. . .'overkill.' One thing we do not have in the car is a dvd player. Ask my kids, and they'll tell you getting there is half the fun. Maybe because they bring half their bedrooms along.

  • And if the stars align, I just might get reservation to Club 33. My husband has a friend with a corporate membership. Never been there? Neither had I, until a friend took me. It's the private club Walt built upstairs from Pirates of the Caribbean. Before I die, I want this plate:

  • It's so fancy there, they serve you things like this; it's so fancy I can't even remember what it was, but I took a picture of it.

Anticipation is so much fun. I'm as excited as the kids. I love Disneyland!

14 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Unknown said...

Hooray! Wish you guys were coming for the meet! It's been too long since we squeezed five adults in a teacup!

Jaime said...

oooh...it's getting close!

And overkill? Hardly! I keep a bag packed for Disneyland at all times!

Of course, I'm only a couple hours away. But, Shiva and Tinkeroon do the same thing! LOL

Tracy said...

I LOVE IT!!! You've given me so many fun ideas for the future...

You probably know this, but I think admission to the park is included with Club 33 reservations. The company I used to work for had a membership; I love that place!

Thanks for popping by my blog last week. I've enjoyed reading yours immensely.

Crazymamaof6 said...

what a great post! FULL of information and tips too! you guys have TONS of great traditions! and club 33 sucked me in,i had to read all about that! FANCY!
hope your trip is MAGICAL!

Cheryl Lage said...

My mantra for the next few hours (maybe longer)...

Thou shalt not covet thy blog buddy's pending vacation. Thou shalt not covet thy blog buddy's pending vacation. Thou shalt not covet thy blog buddy's pending vacation....

Know you all will have a WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL time...and I am in full covet mode!

Liz Jimenez said...

How fun! I have a special place in my heart for Disney, since it's where we got married (FL, not CA). Though in the months leading up to the wedding, we admittedly got a little Disney-ed out. But I can't wait until the kids are a little older, and then we're totally going.

And I love your trip traditions! Those are so great! (And I'd love to have the time to make a Disney quilt, I'm not gonna lie...)

Jocasta said...

I'm so jealous!

Anonymous said...

Wow what awesome fun! I have never been to the happiest place on earth haha

Anonymous said...

You must go to Club 33, I've been twice and is worth every favor you have to call in.

I used to have my Kids's Birthdays at Goofy's Kitchen when we lived down there and we used to go to Disney almost every other day since we were close. I miss it.

debi9kids said...

Oh wow! Sounds like lots of fun!
You do go all out! How fun for the kids that you make it such a huge production!!!

Bob and Jenn Peacock said...

You have made me excited with this post! I think I am going to have to try and plan a Disney trip too now. :)

Patty said...

Thank you for the list of penny press machines! I still have a penny from a 1979 trip to Disneyland and that machine was in that huge store on Main Street. Your post makes me want to go and make some more pennies. Have a great trip!

Des said...

We could be sisters separated at birth. It sounds just like our house when we're getting ready for the big Disney trip. One fun thing we do is to make a big construction paper chain. My daughter writes all the rides and draws pictures all over them and we cut one a day until the big day. I'm sooooooooooooo envious. Have a great time!!!!!

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

Do you have a penny souvenier book? I saw one at one of our museums in town. What a great idea!

Can you take a big purse with you to Club 33?

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs