Tuesday, October 7, 2008

You're Going to Want an Elf

Last year we adopted an elf for the Christmas season. Seemed like a harmless thing to do. We heard that if you left out a nice letter for Santa with some water and saltine crackers sometime after Thanksgiving, then he might let one of his elves come and stay with you for the Christmas season.

The problem with elves is that they can be a bit mischievous at night, and apparently they are so bad at time management, that they fall asleep in the middle of whatever they happen to be doing. So kids awaken each morning to find their elf someplace unexpected.

Our kids left the letter on the mantle (where Santa always picks up his mail) and dutifully set out crackers and water every night before bed. (There's a whole story behind the crackers and water, but I'll save that).

Our elf, named Duncan, arrived one morning with a little letter of introduction. We soon learned that he was a bit of a naughty little guy though. One night we forgot to leave him some crackers so he dug them out of the pantry himself and redecorated our village.


One day the kids were thrilled to find that his friend Meteor the reindeer had joined him. Duncan and Meteor didn't always play nicely however, and we often found them in the morning doing things like this:

Apparently they held roller-skate races one night.

But Duncan often appeared in the morning with gifts for the kids. So he was forgiven.

On Christmas Eve, we all said goodbye and Duncan went home to the North Pole with Santa. I have a feeling he'll be back this year though.

If you would like to play along at your house, I suggest you check out Elf Magic. You can either use one of their elves, or find your own. There are lots of ideas from other adoptive families there. Elves have been known to keep blogs and myspace pages. It's a pretty funny little tradition.

16 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Unknown said...

Awww, I can't wait until Monkey is big enough for this!!!

Anonymous said...

I love this.
I wonder if my boys are too old for it. And that makes me SAD.

Reminds me of my sons teddy bear Charlie. For YEARS after Jack started big-boy school he would come home to find Charlie in all kinds of places. Playing with the legos, on the couch with the remote and a soda......it was great fun for BOTH of us!

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

You are hysterical!! Truly, I want to be you when I grow up.

Mom/Mum said...

that's great! Am going to do this for my boys. They'll love it!

Jillybean said...

This is a fun idea!
Our youngest is just old enough to enjoy this sort of thing. His siblings will be more than willing to help out too.

Nancy said...

Oh now that is CUTE. We might have to tackle this. :)

At my Dad's house we have a similar but slightly different tradition...there is a gumby-type santa and another gumby-type reindeer in the bathroom. Whenver anyone goes in there, they search for the two mischievous little guys and then try to arrange them in a more outrageous place than before. I've found 'em swinging from the lights, around towel racks, under the sink playing on the pipes...you get the idea :)

Laura said...

Please oh please can I come live at your house...all of the crafts and harp music and Christmas magic...I would love it so.

Dena said...

I am SO hanging on to that website until the kids are a little older!!!
You have the best ideas for stuff like this 2/3!!!!

I remember when I was a kid my mom used to put my Cabbage Patch Kid under the tree with one of my presents, making it look like she couldn't wait and opened one of my gifts while I was sleeping!

Nanette Merrill said...

What sweet things to do with your family. I'm sure you are making fabulous memories.

Coloradolady said...

Oh, I read this and really got bummed. My two are grown.....how FUN this would have been. I will save this idea for when I have grandkids....hopefully.

TJACK said...

That's original.

Lily Boot said...

that's fabulous! I especially love the mischief they got up too - the kind of thing that would be so appreciated here! I'll definitely have to pay a visit to the elf people.

Anonymous said...

OMG I am so doing this at our house. I have to get one...thank you! Did i tell you I love Christmas too!

Kira said...

Love this idea. I'm thinking this will be fun to use with my colorguard team...even though they are all teens I think they will get a kick out of it. Just think of all the fun things an elf can do with flags, tape, music, and an entire 'guard' room all to himself! Of course I might need the reindeer to help out ;)

Alisa said...

We adopted our elf last year, Max. He's a carpenter elf and that created all sorts of interesting nightime activities for us to clean up. Elves are worth the trouble though, just like my kids! Max has also made appearances on other special occasions. I will hope that Max does not bring any reindeer friends this year.
I too encourage everyone to adopt an elf!

Tonya Staab said...

I love it. I wanna do this. Mmmm, maybe next year when the kids will begin to understand what is going on

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs