Thursday, December 6, 2012

Favorite Christmas spot

I always feel like a kid with a short attention span during the holiday season.  So many things to try to do at once.  Cards to address, cookies to bake, presents to buy and wrap.  If I didn't keep lots of lists I think I'd be totally lost.

But there is one spot in the house that I can count on to calm me down and get me focused.  When I have a break and can put my feet up to stitch, I sit in my big chair by the kitchen Christmas tree.  This is my calm place.  When I sit here, it means I'm not moving for a while and everything else can wait.  Its twinkling lights make this corner especially festive.

The tree used to have lots of vintage ornaments on it.  Then for several years it had lots of harp ornaments.  This year it is all handmade ornaments.  They are proof of many many hours spent stitching in that chair.

I still don't have my Christmas shopping done, but I've made a start.  The calendar is filling up with concerts by the kids, Nutcracker productions, and a midnight show of "The Hobbit" coming up next week.

I also unwind by making a pot of my favorite tea - "White Christmas" by Stash teas.  It's light and pepperminty and just perfect. 

Here is the quilt just behind the chair.  I love this one.  The nutcrackers are all batiks.


What do you do to relax during this busy season?

5 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Lynn E said...

I find rum and eggnog to be a good method of relaxation.

Rosemary said...

Christmas is my favourite time of the year. Like you it's all go, go, go, but when I need to relax I play Christmas carols and do some hand applique or other stitching.

owlfan said...

I love your nutcracker quilt!

My cat makes sure I spend time relaxing in the recliner, preferably with a quilt. I'd love to have a fire, but its been in the 70s.

Heather said...

kitchen Christmas Tree, does this mean you have more in other rooms? Today I have a post about my tree skirt and am inviting other bloggers to join in with a post about theirs and then add it to Mr. Linky.
http://www.heatherpearson.com/2012/12/oh-christmas-tree-skirt.html

Heather said...

I forgot to tell you how much a like your nutcrackers. Wow, batik nutcrackers. great idea, makes then so modern,

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs