Pages

Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Dark Side of Chain Piecing

Chain piecing is a great quilting technique.  Line up the series of pieces and do them all at once.  No cutting thread in between so it's fast and efficient.

For my Christmas quilt I needed a bunch of little triangles sewn together.  No problem!  I've got this!  So between shuttling kids around in the car yesterday, doing laundry, and cooking dinner I made a long lovely chain of sewn triangles that looked like this:

Great stuff!  Just needed to press them and get them ready to trim:

Yay!  Lots of little triangles sewn together.  A good days work.

Except.

They weren't supposed to be sewn long sides together.  They were supposed to have short sides sewn together.  Since I chain pieced them, I managed to make the same mistake about 60 times.  Go me.  This nice little pile of half-square triangles got put into a bag to be used someday for something else.

Back to the cutting board today.  A million more tiny triangles.

See?  Short sides together with a big triangle attached.  Now they're ready for trimming.   I know yesterday I said I thought I was done making mistakes on this quilt.  Now I'm not so sure.  Obviously I need to pay better attention to what I'm doing.

My amaryllis bulbs tell me Christmas is coming.  Their holiday pots are covered up because I don't like Christmas decorations to come out before Thanksgiving.  The bulb on the right looks like it wants to open soon though. 


We finally turned the heat on and I put both cat beds by a vent.  They opted to share one though.  Hestia brought along a toy. 


3 comments:

  1. OH! I have made similar mistakes chain piecing. I'm embarrassed about how many times I have sewn things wrong sides together.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no!!! You must have been so frustrated when you went to cut the chain apart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think cats snuggled by the heater are one of the joys of winter.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! If you would prefer to email me, my email link is in my sidebar. Because of the high volume of spam, I have had to block anonymous comments.