Thursday, June 12, 2008

Sometimes Moms Get Report Cards Too

It's almost the last day of school and on Wednesday Wasabi Girl brought home a huge bag of accumulated school work. She had me sit on the couch with her as she proudly displayed each of the hundreds of items one by one. Tests, art projects, spelling sheets. My eyes were glazing over a bit, but then something caught my eye. An essay. Since she typed it at school I asked her if I could have it and retype it and put it in my blog. She gave me her permission, so here it is. She's 10 years old.

"My Hero"

Most people know of famous heroes but I know a far better hero than any other. She cares a lot about me and is supportive of everything I do. She teaches me all the things I need to know and more. This caring, supportive, teaching hero is my mom.

My mom cares very strongly about me. She feeds me healthy and delicious foods. For lunch, my mom always packs the same 5 categories: snack, crunchy (goldfish, crackers, pretzels), fruit, vegetable, and sandwich (usually peanut butter and jelly). For dinner, my mom cooks a gourmet meal that usually includes a cooked vegetable such as green beans. My mother also makes sure I am prepared and have what I need. She washes my sports uniforms so I’m ready. She buys me supplies for the new school year. Lastly, she makes soft quilts to keep me warm at night.

My caring mother is very supportive of all my interests. She comes to almost all of my softball games and gymnastics shows. Whether it’s boiling hot or freezing cold my mom almost always attends to my hobbies. After softball games, she waits for me as I zoom to the snack shack to get candy. Then, I share my Milky Way with her. My mom also goes to all of my piano tests and recitals. She bought me a guitar to let me go further in music. Now, I’m teaching myself to play the guitar. Mommy loves my music and is always happy to play a duet.

This caring, supportive hero has taught me many interesting things. She taught me old events from when she was a kid. Once during breakfast, mom told me about a famous astronomer. She set off into space then, all of a sudden; the spaceship blew up into a giant fireball! Mommy also told me about how she used to know all the names of the spaceships and how traveling to space happened all the time on TV. Then she went on Utube to find out more and show me. My mom also tells me daily news and extra facts that are just fun to know. One day she told me about an earth safe sports car. It was green and made in San Carlos. Another time there was a big fire in San Diego. The hot winds fanned the fire making it bigger. Also there was an oil spill from an oil ship. Last of all, she home schooled me in a brief part of kindergarten. She taught my brother, sister, and me all about bears. Home school was also fun, though. Sometimes mommy would print out puzzles or coloring pages. Once, my siblings and I each wrote a short story and mom typed it.

My mom is the most amazing hero who ever lived. I greatly appreciate her in every way.

************************************

She got an "A". I think I did too.

8 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Beth said...

Wow! Those are one of those things thatyou will treasure always. Its good to know you're appriciated!

~Beth

Anonymous said...

OMGosh that is just the best gift a Mom can get. SIgh, why do they have to grow up?

Cheryl Lage said...

What a WONDERFUL, clearly heartfelt, well-thought out description of why you are her hero...she sounds quite justified in her selection!

I love all the papers coming home...how I hope for something similar to your gift in the coming years! (Although I am NOT good about cooking gourmet meals...I LOVED "such as green beans!")

Please tell your daughter she's a great writer. (Wonder where she gets it? ;) )

Threeundertwo said...

The gourmet meals part cracked me up. But hey, they're *her* memories so I'm not going to tamper with them.

I'm holding on to this to re-read when the hormones start flowing and she terns into a typical teenager.

Threeundertwo said...

"turns"

I need her to help me with spelling I guess. . .

Jocasta said...

That's a really lovely thing. I can't wait until my kids start writing things like that.

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

Awwww. So sweet. I love those.

Mine once said in a similar vein...my mom's favorite restaurant is Arby's. I laughed at that one, cuz it ain't my favorite, but it's where we end up the most!

Elizabeth said...

Lovely. It doesn't get any better than that.
Blessings

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs