Thursday, July 24, 2008

Vintage Thingies Thursday: Cast Iron Stove



I got this stove from my grandmother when I was a little girl. You can see by the rust stains in the big pot that I played with it with water. I spent hours with this little toy and my kids still play with it today. The door opens, all the little covers come off, and the shelves can be detached. The chimney is a little dented.

I believe these were made in the 40s and were either used as salesman's samples or marketed as toys. There are a lot of reproductions out on the market now, but this is the real deal, and it is very heavy.

When I opened up the oven door to pull a pan out, I could see that somebody had been cooking:

Yum! Want some?

For more Vintage Thingies Thursdays items, visit Confessions of an Apron Queen.

24 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is an amazing Vintage Thingie - what a treasure! And if you know any good button recipes, that is always a plus.

I nominated you for a Brillante award over at Kitchen Retro, BTW -

The Apron Queen said...

What a treasure you have there! The real deal! And I'd love some button soup. Thanks for offering.

Anonymous said...

Okay that little pan is so cute!

I love that little stove too!

Anonymous said...

I vintage love it!

Melissa said...

How cute is that?
I would have loved to play with that stove as a child.
I'm sure it makes delicious button stew too.

S said...

That's the cutest heaviest toy I've ever seen! Love the buttons on bake.

Cheryl Lage said...

Holy Cow, 3under2! I had the VERY SAME stove (from my Babby/Great Grandmother)...I feel confident my mom still has it. Seeing the image reminds me, do you have the little weird "burner lifter" fork piece?

Wish I'd had some buttons to cook...think I used beads and/or imagination.

As soon as I saw "Crescent" on the door of yours I FREAKED!

If you find yourself in VA, you bring yours and I'll track mine down! :)

Unknown said...

WOW! This is great; and you still have the pots, too! How nice that it still contains a small snack, I believe I cooked something similar 40 years ago!
Please try to stop by my Beach Party tomorrow, celebrating my 50th post!

Cheryl said...

What a wonderful keepsake you have..and love the buttons cooking!
You asked about the pattern I used on my Christmas quilt. It is one we have at the shop using 5 inch charms and a jelly roll. Really fast and easy.

The Tiquehunters Wife said...

Wonderful keepsake! It's just great that you kept it all together. I often find a couple of pans or have even had the stove--but never the whole set together!
I enjoyed!
Blessings to you!
Claudia o.

Anonymous said...

How adorable that is.

No soup for me today. but thanks


peace
#2

Claremont First Ward said...

So cool! Would that be button soup?

debi9kids said...

OH! I have one of those too and I LOVED it as a girl! I let my girls play with it when they were little too and have held on to it for when Emma is older.
How lovely were the things of yesteryear???

Anonymous said...

Your stove is precious! I'd love to have the real McCoy, wouldn't you?

Vintage Whimsy said...

That is too cute! How great is it that your kids can now play with it too?

BabyonBored said...

Thanks for my award!! Love all the vintage stuff. I can't believe you survived life with twins and a 2 year old. It gives me hope. Not a lot but a little.

Sonja said...

Oh how cute! I always wanted one of those, I still do. Your so lucky.

Jennifer said...

That is adorable!

JEWELGIRL said...

Wow, what a wonderful treasure!
Is this a stove salesman sample stove? It is wonderful!

Beth Ann said...

Oh I just LOVE that! What a great treasure to play with growing up! And now another generation playing with it!
I love the buttons cooking in the oven! LOL
Thanks for stopping by my blog and trip to South Bend!

Anonymous said...

My grandparents were antique collectors and had a full-sized one of these, along with a full set of pots and pans and utensils. It was awesome. So great to see old things like that still in use and bringing something to people's lives.

Elizabeth said...

I love that stove! My grandmother had one in her living room and all 27 grandchildren cherished it...I have NO idea who inherited it...Hmm, maybe a reproduction version wouldn't be so bad!
Blessings, E

sarahanne said...

My two year old loves to "cook"! I'm sure your little kitchen was well used. It looks like it would be a lot of fun.

Anonymous said...

If this is one of the originals it was used as a salesman's sample and I believe it is probably older than you the 1940s. Think several decades back.

I believe they are really valuable. At least by my standards. But I'm sure the memories are even more valuable!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs