Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Scary Mommy Takes a Trip to the Mall


Today's guest post is from another mother of three, Scary Mommy. She's fun and funny and I love the pictures of her kids on her blog. When I read this, I jumped up and down screaming YES! See if you agree with me.
We're having a fabulous time at Disneyland and there have been a few surprises. Can't wait to tell you all about it. So while I go play with Mickey some more, please sit back and enjoy today's guest post.

*********************************************************************************


Dear fashion industry,I've never professed to be particularly fashionable. I pretty much wear what I like regardless of what's in style at the moment. I don't read fashion magazines, or care what the hottest celebs are wearing. Sometimes, though, even a girl like me has got to shop. Being in the midst of losing baby weight and desperate for clothing in sizes I don't currently own, I hit the mall. What I found was quite disturbing, and I am begging you to rethink this horrid trend.

The entire mall had turned into one giant maternity store. There was literally no difference between what was on the racks and what I have in my closet as souvenirs from my three pregnancies. The tops were shapeless and over-sized. The skirts, stretchy and flowy. I could have stuffed a watermelon under the dresses-- even the size 0 plastic mannequins looked chunky. As someone who has been pregnant/postpartum, more often than not for the past 5 years, I totally resent this fashion trend. Once you've been carrying a child, and are no longer, the last thing you want is to still appear to be. And if you've never been, do you really want to be a guessing game?

Now, there are some aspects of maternity attire that I would love if you could bring mainstream. Cute, elastic waisted jeans, for instance. They are miraculous- your legs look super long and skinny and combined with a big sweater, no one needs to know about the Buddha belly underneath. Pants with enough give to accommodate an extra 20 pounds? Amazing, and just perfect to wear for that 6 course meal. Maternity underwear is another--- how refreshing to not have it digging, riding or slipping. Bras that don't bulge and shift? Yes! But enough with those damn tops.Let's leave them to Pea in the Pod and Mimi Maternity. You can stick with making clothes that are cut too slim and don't fit the general population. I look forward to voicing my opinion on those.Thank you.

10 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Beth said...

Thank you! LOL! I hate the new "foofy" styles!

Unknown said...

I have a love/hate relationship with those shirts! On one hand,I love that they hide the baby belly and muffintop. On the other hand, I can tell people wonder if I'm expecting #2 when I wear them...

Can't wait to hear about Disneyland!

Anonymous said...

Yep, I'm wearing one of those tops right now because it's ALL THERE is at the store. And to wear it you have to wear super tight pants as to not look prego.

My hubby who's an OB/GYn laughs and just says yeah, you that's maternity like don't you! Yeah, thanks for pointing that out hunny, as I shake my fist in the air!

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

I can hardly wait to read the Disney Chronicles.

I just had the same conversation last week with a skinny woman. The day before, she was asked when her baby was due. Not pregnant. She told me this whilst wearing a fruffy top that made her look pregnant. I didn't have the heart to tell her she looked it again.

Claremont First Ward said...

Ha ha ha. You are so right and I enjoyed having it brought to my attention! :)

Claremont First Ward said...

P.S. Should I feel offended that I wasn't asked to be a guest blogger? j/k. Seriously j/k. Can't wait to hear all about your trip! :)

Claremont First Ward said...

I mean scary mommy is right! :)

zakkalife said...

Thank you! I feel the exact same way. I refuse to buy any sort of baby doll dress or top.
Brands I've found that make flattering form fitting clothing are, J Crew, DKNY, and Tahari. That pretty much sums up my closet.

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

I hate those shirts too. I tried the dang 'tunic' shirts with a tie. Still crappy.

Contact: said...

I just wore a friggin maternity shirt to a job interview - and my twins are three years old!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs