Monday, August 4, 2008

Guest Post: Anissa

From the start I could see that Threeundertwo and I were going to meld. We both have 3 kids….although mine are 10, 7 and 4 and threeunderten doesn't have the same ring to it….we both LUV us some pictures of those kids, and we both have an unhealthy appreciation for the reunion of New Kids on the Block. Frankly, if they could get Tiffany and Debbie Gibson to go back on tour with them, you would find me in a Rave hairspray haze, thrilled from the tops of my single-strap denim overalls to my white leather Keds, with some ridiculous shoulder pads thrown in, just for good measure. I'm JUST that easy.



Then I SAW the NKOTB.



They have wrinkles. There are receding hairlines. They are showing definite signs of wear and tear. I worry that one might take a fall during an extravagant spin and break a hip. Joey, you're still my favorite, make sure to take your vitamins and St. John's Wort now, sweetie!



But this news does not bode well for me. These are the boys that first that caused my little girl heart to thump in a pale imitation of a womanly way. My closet door and bedroom walls were festooned with tear-outs from 'Teen and Tiger Beat and a dozen other magazines that swore to give me all the insight to winning the love of my childhood idols. I know I wore out more that one cassette tape of Jordan's now-strange falsetto and Joey's castrati soprano.



I WOULD be loving you, forever.



Yeah.



I have an opinion that musical icons….and some might cringe at putting NKOTB in that category, but they did pave the way for all the puberty-jumpstarting groups of the 90's and 00's….should either choose to stay together and on the scene so you can see the aging process ala Rolling Stones/Jon Bon Jovi or go away into rock star heaven permanently. This business of putting your realty company on hold so you can hit the road is disturbing, because you made this giant scissor step from eternal boyhood to realistic man.



My acceptance of the transition from partying fun gal to responsible * snort * mini-van driving mom can be a hard pill to swallow, the last thing I need is to have my glorious childhood memories slapped in the face.



As a friend who attended the a recent George Michael concert told me, "Everyone in the crowd was OLD and then I realized they were MY age."



Oh, reality, you are a harsh, unforgiving mistress.



--Anissa

http://www.hope4peyton.org/

www.twitter.com/anissamayhew

http://www.onevoiceproject.ning.com/

4 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Cheryl Lage said...

All too true! We went and saw the Police recently (fabulous show!) and I couldn't get over all the mid-life folks in the audience...oh yeah, wait a minute....suppose I'm midlife too...

Just when Sting became younger than me (or at least LOOKS so much younger) I'll never know. Makes me want to take up tantric yoga...

Great post!

Anonymous said...

Yep, when you look around at those concerts you realize, yes we have aged.

Anonymous said...

LOL! I was a huge fan of the new kids (Jordan and Donny were my faves) as a kid. If I don't see the music video, I can still get giggly about "Summertime." It's sort of the little kid idea that if you can't see it, then it can't hurt you. Or maybe "ignorance is bliss?"

Nancy said...

HAHAHAHAH Oh, tooo funny. I'm right there with you - although, Donny was my fave. I was so psyched when he jumped to acting so I could still see him... LOL

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs