Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Vintage Thingies Thursday: Valentino's Book


It's time to share what may be my favorite vintage item in my household.

I always stop in antique stores and look through the books. Sometimes there are boxes and piles of them, but I know what I like and I know what I'm looking for. I love Christmas novels. Once while shopping I saw an old volume with the title "This Way to Christmas." I pulled it out and opened it at the middle. The story was obviously charming. Then I flipped to the title page to see the date. 1916. But look! There facing the title page was a beautiful frontispiece by Norman Rockwell. This would have been very early in his career.

Then I continued flipping towards the front of the book and my jaw dropped. The previous owner had left his bookplate in the book.

I enlisted a professional to research and appraise it, and this was indeed, a book which belonged to Valentino. The famous heartthrob silent film actor had a very extensive library. How this book got to my small town I'll never know. It is well worn and obviously well read. The story is absolutely charming, and it's even more fun imagining The Sheik himself reading the same book.

You can find more Vintage Things today hosted by Colorado Lady.


What has the elf been up to?

He left another gift last night, some jingly bells. The kids wasted no time in making noise with them.



Don't forget! Tomorrow is "Finished for Friday." Come show us finished projects and admire everyone's work!

12 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Anonymous said...

OMGosh what a treasure!! i'm sooo green with envy and i adore vintage books..great find!! Have a wonderful Christmas and see you in 2009 for more VTT fun :)

CC said...

A wonderful treasure you have. Happy VTT and have a most lovely Christmas.

Coloradolady said...

OMGoodness!! I am just stunned! What a wonderful find, a real treasure!! It is great because it is vintage Christmas, but to have belonged to this heartthrob....well, that is just super! Merry Christmas!

Eileen said...

Wow! That is a priceless treasure.

Laura said...

I love old books too. I'm not sure why...but I do.

Kellie said...

OK, that book is AWESOME! A treasure indeed! I'm seriously jealous...don't be surprised if turns up missing ;)

Susan said...

A fantastic treasure you found or did it find you?! That beautiful book obviously has a loving home. I always find my way to the antique book section, too. That elf is too cute!

Ulla said...

You are so lucky to have atreasure like that! Your elf is cute.
Merry Christmas!

JEWELGIRL said...

This is so cool and to belong to a major silent
film star is even cooler! This is quite the find
anywhere! I love elves who bring presents!
Happy Holidays!

Browndirtcottage said...

marvelous book...just wonderful!!!

oooooo..."elf who brings things that make noise into the house".....i think...bad elf!

Anonymous said...

What a find! I love it when things like that happen! Nice one.

The Tiquehunters Wife said...

Everything about this vintage book is special!
Loved hearing about your special treasure and its history!
Blessings to you and may you have a Merry Christmas!
Claudia O.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs