Sunday, January 4, 2009

Memory reset in progress

"How were your holidays?" "Did you have a nice Christmas?"

My brain flashes back to Dec 22 and the little meltdown I had in our kitchen.

Nobody's helping me clean up and I've still got a ton of shopping to do and if you want to have this big party somebody is going to have to help with the vacuuming and I still have gifts to wrap and ship and now it's probably too late and I lost a few addresses for the Christmas cards and somebody needs to water the tree because I can't crawl under there and reach it and would you please sweep the leaves off the porch why does everybody expect me to do absolutely everything around here while they play Nintendo and talk on their cell phones and why is it the mom has to do everything for Christmas anyway, because I've been spending a lot of time at that theater for Nutcracker rehearsals and performances and I. Just. Want. To. Sit. Down.
I had reached my limit, and I let them know it. They all did rally around to help, but I have to say this was a pretty stressful Christmas. And then it was over in a flash.

But as I look back, remembering how stressed out I was at the time, I remember also how thrilled Wasabi Girl was to receive the unicycle I found for her at the 11th hour, and all the little ornaments I was able to stitch in stolen moments, and the dozens of other fun, fulfilling wonderful parts that make Christmas the season that I look forward to every year. So I answer the same way I always do;

"My Christmas was great! How was yours?"

7 people stopped folding laundry to write:

annieology said...

We had 39 people over for Christmas Eve Eve dinner on the 23rd. They were to arrive at 6:00 at 2:00 I discovered that we had 5 count them 5 forks in the house. Don't know where the rest are, but they have disappeared. After 1/2 hour of looking under couch cushions and beds and the back yard we had to go out and buy more. At 4:00 the power went out. Quick call to the power company we received the good news that it should be back by 5:30. And since it was neighborhood wide, no borrowing some kilowatts from the neighbors.

Turned out to be a great evening, thanks to day before prep work and the microwave, we did eat a little late though.

It was great!

Gerb said...

We scaled back on our Christmases because that was pretty close to what Christmas had become for me. This year was also pretty hectic - basically due to poor planning on my part - but it was a wonderful holiday all the same. I love that you can find the positive in a stressful situation!

Cathi said...

We had a lovely quiet holiday -- lots of books, lots of music and lots of great food. I played with stitching and DH did cryptic crosswords a lot of the time. It was perfect for us.

Anonymous said...

Just as stressful...with Christmas, Hanukkah, New Year's Birthday's...I need a vacation.. Of course I can't wait until next year too!

Arlette said...

I had a meltdown just like yours only mine was in preparation for our New Years Eve party. Luckily, my hubbie came to the rescue. I agree with you that most of the preparation for the holiday's do fall heavily on the mom's.
Wishing you and your family a very Happy and Prosperous New year!
Aloha!

Cheryl Lage said...

Feel better...you weren't alone...
My grandfather (92) took a rib-breaking, hand bloodying, hospital and rehab meriting fall on the 23rd. He is going to be FINE, but we decided to spend Christmas Day here in town with him rather than trek to my mom's home for the day. Presents we planned to deliver in person to cousins and G'ma are still in-house...and late. We travelled cross country on the 27th (it was a great trip, but we learned she-twin gets SEVERELY airsick...there's a post coming...)
Came home to discover all the kids' fish in their room died the day we arrived home...and our beloved neighbor who'd been caring for them was SOOO distraught...

Still plowing through laundry and cleaning and voluminous quantities of backed up emails...but guess what?

My Christmas was WONDERFUL! How was yours? ;)

Eileen said...

yes.. we do this to ourelves every year it seems. And look back and think "how did I get through it?".. but I'd do it again. Like childbirth.

Hope this month brings you good things. :-)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs