Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunday Morning

I have escaped the unwashed masses that are my children and gone to my personal retreat. The spot where nobody interrupts, begs, fights, or burps. I have before me a short but pleasurable time to indulge in reading all my favorite blogs. Or I might sew a little. Or daydream. Or read one of the books in the stack waiting for me.

It's Sunday morning. And they're all sleeping in. It's as good as any vacation ever gets.

Don't get me wrong, I adore my family, they just drive me a bit crazy by the end of the day.

Take Drama Girl's new favorite joke:

Two muffins are baking in the oven. The first muffin says "Hi! How're you doin'?" The second muffin says "Whoa! You're a talking muffin?!"

Funny the first time. The 20th time? Not so much.

Or Jungle Boy's latest reply to everything.
"Clean your room" "I am!" "Wash for dinner" "I am!" "Put your bike away please." "I am!"

All said at various times while he continued to sit on the couch and read a book.

Wasabi Girl and I get stuck in an endless loop. The competitive side of me always wants to win.
"I love you more than you love me." "No, I love you more than you love me." "No, I love you more than you love me."

On and on and on.

Sometimes by the end of the day, I just collapse from exhaustion. These silly people never give me a moment's rest.

But early in the morning, it's just me and the quietly ticking clock and my fingers tapping on the keyboard. So peaceful.

Happy Sunday.

11 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean and I get up early just to have my quiet time instead of sleeping in myself...oh well!

Coloradolady said...

I know what you mean.....I am having a house full of family today, I was up early cooking homemade mexican food....I love them, but rest assured by the end of the day, I am going to be saying to myself...is it not time for you to go home!! A day of noise will drive you nuts sometimes.

Liz said...

How early do you get up? Was this really posted at 4 a.m.? I know EXACTLY how you feel...glad you got a moment to yourself!

Cheryl Lage said...

While I am sure by now your morning's bliss has come to an end, I'm so glad you found a moment's respite.

(I get into competitive mommy mode, too. You're not alone. Hoping your whole day is a peaceful one, Muffin. ;) )

Lindsay-ann said...

Enjoy your little bit of peace and quiet whilst it lasts!
Best Wishes
Lindsay

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you have some solitude time. Some days, all I get for alone time is my shower in the morning. I didn't plan it right this morning - I got a request before the end of my shower.

I get into those same I love you more wars. I take guilty pleasure in ending it by saying, "Okay. You love me more." It shocks them every time. (insert evil laugh) That's what they get for not giving me alone time.

Eileen said...

ha-ha.. I've got a really hilarious YouTube video you have go to see.. it fits this post perfect. :-)

Lisa said...

Ahaha! You always make me laugh. I love your blog. (I get my me-time late at night.)

My 5 yr. old and I get into a little "I love you the mostest" contest, too. He says, "Mom, I love you the whole world." I reply with, "Well, I love you the whole universe." Then, we proceed to galaxies, hyperspace, black holes and blah, blah, until we run out. (I have no idea if we even go in the right order.) Eventually he just starts over with the world. I guess at that point I would be the winner, but he's 5, so, you know, there's just not that much glory in beating a 5 yr. old. Especially when he doesn't know he's the loser.

Anonymous said...

DOn't you love it.
The time to appreciate them all again. To sit and read and type and get it all done. And to think...hey, I wonder when they are gonna wake up? And when they do...it is sweet. Because you had a moment WITHOUT them FIRST.

Happy Sunday to you too.

Anonymous said...

LOL! I so understand where you are coming from. Those quiet moments are treasured - just as much as the chaotic ones ;)

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting!

Scary Mommy said...

I hear you-- I often will wake up at 3 am for an hour or so just to get things done! It's the only time I'm ALONE!!! (But a bit insane, yes)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs