Monday, March 30, 2009

Arrow of Light

Last Friday was my son's bridging ceremony where he transitioned from a Cub Scout to a Boy Scout. It was an interesting evening to say the least. In addition, he received the Arrow of Light award, the highest badge possible in Cub Scouting. It represented a lot of work on his part, and I am very proud of him.

The three boys in his den had built their own bridge. Silly me, I thought it was supposed to look like a bridge. You can see part of it in the picture below. Their old Cub Scout leaders stood on one side, and removed their Webelos neckerchief. Then each boy was welcomed by the Boy Scout leader on the other side and he crossed the bridge. My son the gymnast flew across in about 1 second. Wish I had a better picture, but you get the idea.

Then a Boy Scout in the new troupe he's entering put his new neckerchief on him and gave him the official Boy Scout handshake. The picture is a little tilted, but I love how Jungle Boy is biting his lip in the excitement of the moment.



When all were through, all the Cub Scouts and parents in the pack lined up and made an avenue for the new Boy Scouts to walk down as we all clapped. It was really very moving rite of passage for a fine young man.

I might have had a little tear in my eye. I'm a total sap about stuff like this.

Jungle Boy and my husband celebrated with a camping trip this weekend - but that's fodder for another post.

6 people stopped folding laundry to write:

The Raggedy Girl said...

Oh how wonderful and I know you are really a proud mama because just seeing this made me think of my daughter doing this in Girl Scouts about 40 years ago!!

Have An Amazing Monday
from Roberta Anne-the Raggedy Girl

Anonymous said...

Hia thanks for visiting my blog and for the compliment about my stitcheries. It's all a bit historical over there at the mo until I finish posts based on the weekend.

Congratulations to your son. You and he and his sisters must be so proud.

Cheryl Lage said...

Oh what a fine young man Jungle Boy is. He really inspires me...as do you!

Des said...

Oh, i totally get the whole boy scout/order or arrow thing. my son got his eagle and I just love, love my little mother's pin.

something about a boy and that uniform.

well done Jungle boy!

Eva said...

Congratulations to Jungle Boy on this wonderful acomplishment! It brings back wonderful memories of both of my sons' Arrow of Light!

owlfan said...

I love the idea of building their own bridge. That looks like a very nice ceremony. My younger son just got his Arrow of Light also (but he doesn't bridge til next year).

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs