Wednesday, May 27, 2009

It's nice to be noticed.


I've worked for the schools every year that my children have been enrolled. I just feel it's a responsibility of every parent to contribute to their children's education.

Volunteer work has its own rewards, and it's gratifying to know that I've helped with the education of all of the kids in our community. But it's even nicer when someone else notices.

Last night I was honored with a PTA Honorary Service Award in front of a huge audience at the middle school band concert. It was a complete surprise and very appreciated. Of course, we were packed in there like sardines so when they called my name I didn't even try to limp up to the front. My husband went and collected my bouquet and certificate and pin for me.

The pin is a "California Distinguished Schools" pin. Appropriate because our school just received this distinction, thanks in part to the role my tutoring program plays in assisting at-risk students.

It is nice to be noticed.

14 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Mom said...

Congrats to you and thanks for all that you do!

Carrie from FoxTwins said...

Congratulations!!

Dena said...

Big congrats!
(Can I also add - it's about time!) ;)

Lindsay-ann said...

Congratulations. You are obviously appreciated very much for all your hard work and dedication.
The flowers are beautiful.
Enjoy.
Lindsay

Bea said...

Congratulations! Just knowing you are appreciated makes it all worth it.

Laura said...

We seem to be losing enthusiastic volunteers at our school.
Thank you on behalf of teachers everywhere.
We need you so much.

Claremont First Ward said...

What an honor. I didn't realize you were in CA, too. :)

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

You don't do it for the recognition, but it certainly helps. The flowers are beautiful. So happy for you.

Alisa said...

Awww...Congratulations!
I'm with you, I don't work in the school for the recognition, but it is oh so nice to be appreciated as well.

Keep up all the great work, your kids will appreciate it forever.

domesticish diva said...

Congratulations!!! It's great to be recognized for the hard work that you do!

Nancy said...

Woot! It's definitely nice to be acknowledged for volunteer work :)

DebD said...

What a sweet thing to do. Congratulations... the flowers are very pretty.

Cathi said...

Congratulations! That's great that you were recognized and given such gorgeous flowers!

Eileen said...

This is so nice! I know it feels like a thankless job most of the time. And kept you up at nights. So I'm glad you finally got a little bit of recognition. I can just hear the cheers going up. ;-) Bet your kids are so proud.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs