Thursday, June 4, 2009

Finished for Friday: Otter

This is a sea otter Christmas ornament for my husband, because nothing says Christmas like marine mammals wrapped in tinsel.

For those of you who aren't familiar with sea otters, they wrap themselves up in kelp to keep from drifting away when they take naps. My husband and I have had a lot of fun trips to Monterey to enjoy the sea otters, his favorite animal.

I still want to put some trim around the edge of this (which will hide the lumpy edge), but my husband came home from his business trip sooner than expected so I had to stash it away for now. I'm probably finishing it as you read this.

This is all I finished up this week, although as usual, I have a lot of projects in the works. This coming week will be the last week of school for the kids - hooray! I think we're all about ready to end the academic routine for now.

What have you finished up this week? Special pats on the back to those of you tackling big decluttering jobs! I love seeing the before and after pictures!

Grab a button from my sidebar if you'd like to add it to your blog. We'll try Mr. Linky again this week, even though he's been a bit temperamental lately. Just click on the little box and he'll open in a new tab for you. Thanks for playing along and have a great weekend!

20 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Cheryl said...

How wonderful is that ornament!!! Love the tinsel, great touch.

Unknown said...

I like to wrap myself in a big tube and sleep in the pool. Perhaps I'm part otter!

Patty said...

I love the otter! The tinsel is a nice touch.

Patty said...

I think Mr. Linky is sick. I don't see any links.

Laura said...

I didn't know that about sea otters, and that is adorable.

Liz Jimenez said...

I love your ornaments! Not only are they cute and well done, but they always seem to have a little bit of a sense of humor or inside meaning. The best kind!

And I'm playing along today! I did use Mr. Linky, but just in case he acts up, it's on my quilting blog...

10th finish of the year!

Cheryl Lage said...

Oh now that is WAY cute. Otter-fans that the twins are, I just pulled them away from the ever-endearing Curious George to see your handiwork.

Darren: Aww, that's cute!
Sarah: (smiling) Crafty!

I concur. Those little lights are a perfect touch. :) You rock.

Cheryl Lage said...

OOOPS! Apparently I linked to an old one (Mr Linky acted like he pre-input my post...never trust that fickle man!) Number 5 is right! ;)

HeatherV said...

I love that you are working on Christmas ornaments in the summer! Wish it was about 40 degrees right now and I was going home to a fire!

About to use mr linky as I have had a super productive pre-bday party week!

Bea said...

That sea otter ornament is the cutest thing. I love the tinsel and lights around him.

I took pictures of my almost clean room last night but they didn't turn out. Will snap some more then post.

Lisa said...

You mean it's Friday already? I have not gotten ANYTHING done. (I just planted my tomatoes- does that count? LOL!)

I love the ornament and the story. Too cute!

Lisa said...

Ok, I linked up all my mom's big quilt finishes. I helped with some of them. She does enough quilting for 10 people!

The Mother said...

How cute! I had no idea that otters were Christmas animals!

Laura said...

I love how you're working on Christmas ornaments! You're so much more organized than I am for getting things ready. The scarf I knit for my mom for last Christmas and presented to her halfway done with needles still in...is still not completed and delivered. Oh well. Maybe this year will be different!

Dena said...

Squee! (As quoted by a very smart lady I know!)
I just wanna pinch him he's so cute!
:)

Lindsay-ann said...

Your otter looks gorgeous. He is so cute and looks a cheeky chappy!
Thanks for sharing.
Have a great weekend.
Lindsay
x

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

What a super cute blog...Enjoyed reading your blog today. I am still finding my way around blogland....I always love making new friends..I am posting about Disney so hope you will stop by. Commenting automatically puts you in the drawing for the June giveaway.

Patty said...

I'm glad you're doing the Bunny SAL too. Your otter ornament put me in the mood to do some Xmas stitching and tonight I found a drawing that I'm going to embroider. It doesn't have a hedgehog in it but a donkey instead so I'm happy.

Scary Mommy said...

That is soooo cute!!!! I actually just finished making all of the edits on the book of my blog from last year. It's been on my to-so list for 5 month, so I'm glad it's done!

Eileen said...

wow. I did not know this about sea otters. this is so interesting! And perfect idea for a Christmas ornament.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs