Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Phone Boy

"Hello?"
"Hello, I don't know who I'm calling, but I found this phone at the ballet studio and we don't know who it belongs to so I'm calling the number that says 'home.'"
"It belongs to Jungle Boy. Could you please leave it with his teacher? Thanks so much for calling."

Later that afternoon, "Jungle Boy, can I see your phone for a minute?" Jungle Boy commences rummaging around in his massive ballet bag, pulling out several pairs of dilapidated shoes (why do they have male ballet dancers wear white shoes?), water bottles, candy wrappers, therabands, and other various items.
"It's not here. Oh yeah! I remember, I left it on the counter at the ballet studio. I was texting Drama Girl."
"But, wasn't Drama Girl also at the ballet studio?"
"Yes, but she was in the other room."

At this point Drama Girl spoke up. "Mom, he's always on his cell phone between classes. And girls are always asking to give him their numbers."

"What girls?" I'm thinking some of his friends from 5th grade are sharing their numbers.

Jungle Boy blushes and mumbles. "This girl D..., I didn't want her to but she really insisted."

"I don't know her, is she nice?"
Drama Girl can't contain herself. "Mom! D... is in HIGH SCHOOL!"

I can't help but smile. Someday he'll appreciate the unique position he's in of being a rare male dancer. At the moment he doesn't understand all the attention he gets from giggling girls, big and little.

In the meantime, I'm going to have a little talk with my girls about leaving their numbers on boys' phones.

3 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Bea said...

It has nothing to do with being a male ballet dancer. I think it has to do with him growing up with two sisters so he can relate to other females. He also has some great parents that have had a part in making him a delightful young man.

Lisa said...

LOL! My husband is 3 years younger than I am so he is always pointing out that when I was a senior, he was a freshman. LOL! Maybe he should keep that number...

The Mother said...

I have one like that. Crazy like a fox. Goes to "girl flicks" and wears his hair long with lots of jewelry that he swaps with the girls.

And they're lining up around the block.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs