Monday, June 1, 2009

Turnabout is Fair Play

I've been known to take a tiny mommy vacation or two. I've escaped with friends for a few days of fun, and I've attended the occasional quilting retreat. My husband gives me this freedom from the mommy grind because he doesn't want me to go postal loves me.

Being the hyper-organized list-maker type that I am, I always leave him a long detailed list of what needs to happen while I'm away. I write down all the kids' appointments and tasks around the house.

Since I had my hip repair surgery in March, I've had very limited mobility. Dear husband has been cooking and doing extra driving. He's been wonderful really.

But this week he's on an extended business trip to Las Vegas (poor dear), and what did he do? he left me a list!

He's carefully written down the scout meetings for Jungle boy, listed the forms he needs to pick up from the Scoutmaster, noted times and addresses for me to go drive the kids.

He even added a to-do list; who should empty the dishwasher, garbage needs to go out on Wednesday, "everyone needs to keep their room clean."

I have to smile. Either he's noticed the work it takes to keep everyone on task, or he doesn't trust that I will be able to figure out what the kids need to do (she can't walk, so she can't think either) or he has picked up my listmaking habit.

I think it's the latter. I think he's discovered the peace of mind you get by spelling everything out for the parent left alone.

Maybe I'll be a little less of a micro-manager the next time I feel compelled to leave a list. Now I know how it feels to get one.

7 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Laura said...

I wouldn't mind a list of "options."
And, I'm a list maker too by the way. The difference between you and me is that I ignore my lists sometimes.

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

I'm a list maker too. Isn't it exciting you have recruited one from the other team and brought him over, into the light?!

Lisa said...

LOL! This post made me giggle.

(If my husband made a list I wouldn't be able to decipher it. Plus it would say things like: Buy Beer. Clean entire house. Make steak and lasagna meal.)

Bea said...

I don't think I could function well without a list.

When we went to KS last month, I flew out a couple days before Hubs. I left post it notes all over the place to remind him to this or that.

debi9kids said...

Oh wow! I wish my husband would step up and make lists! How awesome!
I am so happy to hear your hubby has been stepping up so much for you. Just wonderful.
He deservesand extra hug when he gets home :)

Auds at Barking Mad said...

I am a list-maker too and it drives my husband nuts! I have a feeling one of these days I am going to be in your shoes...the one getting the list!

Cheryl Lage said...

YOU got the "Honey Do" list? You know we've never done them here ('cuz we pretty much live in squallir) but I like how evenly matched you two are. :)

(and thanks for the tip on the squashing the over the shoulder readers in the bud! Implementing it now...Facebook, here I come!;) )

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs