Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Perils of Laundry

I confess we are one of those families that does not park their cars in the garage. Sure, we used to, years ago, but like many Americans with kids, our posessions have somehow overtaken our "extra" space. I hate it, and wish we could park indoors, but having the garage as an extension of our living space gives me a dedicated corner for my sewing, and a place for the kids to keep their computer. My husband has his office area in the garage too, and it's worked out fairly well. Just take a left at the Christmas decor and past the laundry hampers and you'll find his space.

Sundays tend to be my sewing days. I throw in load after load of laundry and settle in with my sewing machine for some quality therapy time. Yesterday was no different. Head down, thoughts in my quilt, I hardly noticed what was going on around me.

Then my daydreams surfaced a bit and my mind started to reflect. "Gee. The water splashing into the big sink from the washer sounds just like a fountain, doesn't it?" I finished the seam. More splashing. The mind interrupted the sewing again. "Gee. I've never actually heard that fountain noise before, have I?"

I looked up, and there it was. A waterfall of water gushing over the rim of the sink. Splash!!

I can't move very fast since my surgery, so I did the most logical thing. Yelled for my husband. Luckily, he was just around the corner from the camping equipment, somewhere near the Christmas lights. "It's OVERFLOWING!!"

It's amazing how slow and helpless you feel when you see your garage being doused with gallons of water. It's amazing how quickly you can grab even "the good towels" to try to stop the creeping wave from advancing. It's gratifying to know that when you call for the kids to come right now, they will show up and form a chain to quickly pass boxes and items from the danger zone to dry ground. Bless them, they were a huge help. Even more astounding? when you post about it on facebook and your neighbor happens to read it and calls to ask if you'd like to use her washer and dryer. My husband was quite impressed with the power of social networking.

No huge harm done (although I'm not sure those are good towels any more). Looks like my Monday will be spent waiting on a plumber.

I think I'm going to need an extra day of quilt therapy this week.

7 people stopped folding laundry to write:

The Mother said...

I feel your pain. I had TWO plumbing emergencies this week. Why do they always happen in the summer, when the heat is enough to boil the water as it pours into the driveway?

Lindsay-ann said...

I hope you get your washing machine fixed soon! I was with out a machine for most of last week and it was no fun. Luckily mine just stopped working so there was no flood emergency to deal with!
Love your patriotic quilt.
Lindsay

x

Cheryl Lage said...

Oh ThreeUnder, I am so sorry. Laundry is always unpleasant, but ugh...you don't expect that. :(

Hooray for Social Network Rescuers! :)

Claremont First Ward said...

Oh no. I'm glad it wasn't too terrible. I just bought a new washer.......and it doesn't work. So, my laundry is piling high....would have had plenty to stauch that flow. :)

monica said...

I hope you get your plumbing fixed soon and it's an easy fix. That is too great that your neighbor offered hers in the meantime!! Great neighbor!

debi9kids said...

OMGosh! I know it's awful, but I'm giggling just a little bit ;)

Glad your neighbors came to the rescue!

Lily Boot said...

oh dear! that is so awful! I have done exactly that with unknown noises - been able to explain it away to myself until all of a sudden it dawns on me that this is not good! Glad the family was around to lend a hand and how awesome the neighbour just happened to be reading facebook!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs