Thursday, December 3, 2009

Finished for Friday: Outlander



This week I finished rereading the book "Outlander" on my Kindle. I first read it years ago in a single weekend, which is no small feat since the paperback copy runs 656 pages long. The book is that good - almost impossible to put down.

It has an interesting plot; a woman from the 20th century accidentally slips back through time to the 18th century. While there, she has to depend on her wits and leverage her knowledge of history to survive and help those around her. She is a caring, strong, sensible heroine who generates a lot of sympathy. I don't know if I would have always made the same choices she made, but it's fun to see how her situation plays out.

It is also a love story, a triangle of her husband left behind in the 20th century and a man she falls in love with in the 18th century. I love a good romantic story now and then and this one has legions of fans for good reason. It is the first in a series of equally lengthy books by Diana Gabaldon.

I get a few pennies if you click through the link above and end up buying something from Amazon. I want to thank everyone who has done this in the past. It's always a nice surprise to see people have clicked through and it helps finance my mp3 download habit.

What have you been up to this week? Finish any projects? Any books? Some Christmas decorating or shopping? Link up here and let us come and admire. Feel free to grab the button from my sidebar if you'd like to add it to your post. Thanks for playing along and have a great weekend!


10 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Barbara Jean said...

Thanks for hosting.

Not a very interesting post today, but wanted to join in. =0)

blessings

barbara jean

Merri Ann said...

Hi, I've been a faithful reader of your blog for awhile and wanted to thank you for explaining how you get paid for that link ... I may be displaying my ignorance here, but I didn't know that is how it worked. I actually need to buy two books from amazon and I'll go through your link.

Not sure I've got the energy to wade through
your book at this point in my life ... I'm currently living your life from about 10 years ago ... mine are 3 under 5 now and the light at the end of the tunnel is no longer a train. Your blog helps me to know that I will have a moment to take a breath in the not too distant future.

Have a good weekend.

Knitty said...

Glad to read your review as it isn't a book I would have sought on my own. I will consider this in January. Happy Friday!

Unknown said...

One of the few books I've re-read, also. Definitely a page turner and too big for the beach!

Susan said...

Diana Gabaldon is my very favorite author and I had her newest book sitting here waiting to be read but I just don't have time for it right now, I keep falling asleep after 3 pages every night! I think it'll be great in February when things are slow and it's so cold out that a snuggle in front of the wood stove with a good book is the high point of the day.

Big books like hers would make a Kindle really come in handy, especially when you nod off and risk a concussion from a 12 pound book!

Laura said...

I've heard good things about this author from my Mom. Your description has made me want to get the book from the library this weekend!

owlfan said...

I love Diana Gabaldon's books!

I made an apron for my mom this week, but I can't post it on by blog as she reads it. It's not exactly a surprise as she requested it, but its still good to have some surprise on Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the book. I definitely want to read it now. Thank you also for hosting this party!

Branlaadee said...

I bought this book a year or two ago. I havent picked it up to read it yet though. Maybe I'll get to it in 2010.

Quilts and Cats said...

Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series is the greatest. I have purchased and downloaded all of them from Audible.com. Listening to the book as narrated by Davina Porter with her great Scottish accents is absolutely the best.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs