Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Goldilocks Syndrome

How's your pillow?

I found myself in a store yet again yesterday seeking out the perfect pillow. My expensive down pillow at home had finally died. I was in the habit of spending long minutes before I got into bed shaking and plumping that thing, only to rest my head and have it turn into a brick in the middle of the night. I would even try to fluff it while half asleep. No go.

But I'm not great when faced with a million choices in the store. The toothpaste aisle makes me break into a cold sweat until I find the Crest. Why are there so many kinds of toothpaste?

So it was probably a bad idea to go to a store with a million kinds of pillows. How are we supposed to figure out what we want? I wanted to put each one on the floor and test it with my head but I settled for hugging them. Every one was different. Hug Hug Hug. Soft enough? Too soft? Who can tell? What if I pick the wrong one?? I settled on one that seemed perfect.

I woke up at 4:00 this morning and my neck hurts. Back to the drawing board.

6 people stopped folding laundry to write:

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

I had a great pillow from the chiropractor. It was a water pillow with a quilted top. Just add or remove water and voila! Perfect pillow.

VegasGal said...

Down pillows rock. I fixed mine by by putting it in a smaller pillow cover. Just take a regular pillow protector and sew a seam about 3/4 of the way across and stuff the pillow in it. The idea is you are stuffing your feathers into a smaller space so they can't flatten out in the middle of the night. Now my pillow stays puffy all night, and I sleep well.

The Mother said...

They make special neck pillows out of memory foam. They look sort of like saddles.

Take some getting used to, but they're great.

Teresa aka MarieSews said...

Pillow fights at our house do not involve hitting people with them but stealing the best one and hiding it in one's room. I rarely go into the boy's room unless it is to turn off the light or steal my pillow back!

Cheryl Lage said...

Seriously---we're living tandem lives. For my birthday last year, I asked for a pillow. Thankfully, he picked one similar to his (knowing when he's away, I use his...)

Wishing you luck in the pillow pursuit!

Jeff Schinkel said...

I wonder if they have any kind of pillow that is the equivalent of the Sleep Number bed? One that could be inflated/deflated depending on personal preference? My problem is that sometimes a fluffy, squishy pillow is great. Other times, like when I have a cold, I need something about as soft as an encyclopedia to keep my head elevated.

If not that, at least there should be a slightly refrigerated pillow so that the cool side of the pillow stays cool.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs