Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Bring me some popcorn

Now this was a great idea. Netflix offers a disk to wii owners that allows you to stream movies instantly through your internet connection onto your TV. We got ours yesterday.

My husband and I have a long history of video store wandering. It began as a dating ritual. We would head to the local video store and browse. Forever. We are probably two of the most indecisive people you've ever met when it comes to entertainment. I think it's amazing we ever managed to rent anything at all.


Now we can enjoy this same ritual from the comfort of our own couch! Movies galore to watch instantly. Every genre we need. Elaborate costume dramas for me, space aliens blowing up things for him. We are like kids in a . . .video store.

The down side? No previews. The movie really starts instantly. I've always loved previews, my husband - not so much. He's thrilled.

There are quite a few TV series available too, so my daughters chose to watch episode 1 of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." They decided it was a bit scary so I followed up with an instant viewing of an episode of "Rocky and Bullwinkle." Then they decided that they should not let me pick things for them to watch. I still don't understand how they could not love Rocky and Bullwinkle. Kids these days.

If you have a wii and a Netflix account, I believe the link to order your own disk is here. Ours was free with our Netflix subscription.

Now pass the popcorn, I'm going to watch some Jane Austen.

9 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Laura said...

Fun! My dad LOVES Rocky and Bullwinkle, so we grew up watching it. I love it now, too, although not quite as much as him. He even has handkerchiefs embroidered with Bullwinkle's head. That he uses every day!

Branlaadee said...

This is the single most important reason we are considering turning our Netflix back on.

I agree with you about the previews though. Watching the previews has turned us on to some awsome movies and shows we would have never known about otherwise!

Anonymous said...

I have been reading about others getting their Netflix Wii disc. I didn't think anything of it.

Upon reading your post, I said this out loud to my dh but ds heard as well. Loud gasp! I guess dear son has been anxiously awaiting this treat.

Ours is set to arrive tomorrow. :)

Rosemary said...

We are soul mates! Rocky and Bullwinkle and Jane Austen are two of my favourites too!! :)

What A Card said...

We just got ours yesterday, too! I think my husband was a little offended I ordered it, though...a while back, he spent a bit of time and money figuring out how to hook up our laptop to make it play on the TV. Pretty sweet set up...we've been streaming netflix via our computer to our TV for months. But I figure this will be easier than playing with the laptop :)

Buffy rules, though there are some scarier episodes, and some adult themes (gets pretty dark by season 6). We're currently making our way through Lost (we're on the beginning of season 5 now!) I also have been watching Weeds or Dexter when I'm up in the middle of the night feeding the baby. Love netflix!

Virginia said...

I just ordered our Wii-Netflix disc! My kids used to watch our "Rocky & Bulwinkle" videotapes with me when they were little, but we haven't looked at them in years. And I've been thinking it's about time to get them started on Buffy. Meanwhile, I'm pleased that the Netflix/Wii streaming will give my daughter more movie options for her 11th bday party in a few weeks. :-)

Becca said...

I'm glad you like your disc. I have one and haven't used it yet. Is it pretty easy?

Unknown said...

That's a great feature they have. I don't own any of the devices needed to do it to my TV, but I stream to my computer monitor all the time, which is nice when I'm in my craft room working and can watch a movie on the extra-large monitor. Not as good as the big TV, but still great entertainment.

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

Cute post. I'm with your husband on this one - I don't care for the previews. But only because I forget what movie I'm supposed to be watching by the time the previews are done.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs